Idiots with rods....

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I'd been thinking of joining a small local club for the past few years, and after a telephone call from a mate explaining that next year there's a probationary period of 12 months before night fishing will beallowed (which is a good idea in my book).... I finally signed up. the club has a few waters but the only water I was interested in was the Mere... I knew that this year I'd not get many chances to fish but that was fine, the reason for joining this year was so that I didn't have to wait until 2009 to night fish there....

Night fishing the Mere closes at the end of August, again fine by me I only wanted to to the occasional Carp session and Eel fish the place during the summer.... but a call from another miffed member the other night brought news that the club will not be re-opening the water for nights next year. due to litter.... now the Mere is a beautiful place with very , very little in the way of litter, there are a few idiots with rods who camp weekends who do leave a very small amount of litter (usually cleared away by a mate who has done 3 or 4 nights each week since March (when night fishing opens). There's certainly less litter on the Mere than the other club pools.

Now I'm a liitle P***ed off with the club, for making a very knee jerk reaction (a bailiff would be a better idea).

I'm more than a little P***ed off with the idiot element again. when will these people learn. there are guys that have put a lot of effort into that place and are being kicked in the teeth, I and others have effectivley wasted almost £100....

My other problem is now I need to find a localish water where I can night for eels through the summer and keep my 9 year old happy with Tench/carp etc during the day... within a 45 minute drive of Walsall...

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sounds like a strong bailiff could have stopped the morons causing the loss of the night fishingDave.

Bloody idiots! Every club has them, it's how they are dealt with that makes the difference. Gutted for you, the club should have dealt with it as soon as they knew there was a problem!

Hope you find a new venue.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Cheers Steve, a good mate is going to offer to Bailiff the place. hopefully the committee will agree and we can keep the nights.... I'm doubtful though, even though he gets on very well with the committee...

looking at Coombe if this fails.

S

stephen cotton

Dave,

It might still be worth fishing the deeper silty areas from midday until dusk in Sept/Oct during overcast weather, not all eels come out at night...I'd agree with you onthe idiot/litter front, you wonder what some peoples homes are like.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
I have another water which produces during the day but has never allowed night fishing. but looking fora night water (for a bit of peace from the gaffer)!

and yes You do wonder what there homes are like.... waiting for confirmation on the ban after next months committee meeting.... so all might not be lost yet!