Line damage - Posted on behalf of Simon Walker

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]The following was recently recieved at FishingMagic HQ from Simon Walker. Preaching to the converted as far as most of our members are concerned we are sure but a timely reminder nonetheless to spread the word:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
I come from a fishing background - my father was **** Walker - so I'm pro fishing. But - there's always a but, isn't there? But I'd appeal to your members to do all they can to recover broken line. In the last year I've seen a mute swan killed by it and a couple of days ago it was a coot at Grafham, with line round its leg, causing nasty damage and infection. It was a sorry looking bird and I give little hope for it. It's a very nasty way to go. I know it's not always possible to recover broken line; I've been in that position myself; but if you can, please try to do so. My late father always did, and I think he was right.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
totally agree

but I use a plastic shopping back - line, old hooks, any rubbish, cans, wrappers ect goes in it - it gets taken hope and put in a bin

not only keeps the line away from wildlife but also I leave my swim tidy and clean

michaels

Reaction score
Ditto to the above, I use an old tobacco tin, usually cutting the wrapped line into pieces, it’s no hardship, taking but seconds to clear your own line and any other discarded line & shot, hooks you find...

Last edited:

murv

Reaction score
Always take all mine, I even go a bit further and burn it on the BBQ so that the gulls at the tip don't get tangled in it, or as above, cut it into small pieces.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Yep - cut it up into small pieces, that way no harm is done.

Yup this is my approach too. Finding yards of line at the bankside is seriously annoying. Last year I fished at a village pond and saw a duck in obvious distress swimming across the pond. The guy I was fishing with thought a pike had grabbed it by the leg. I thought it quite unlikely and was proved correct when the duck exited the pond and then continued quacking in distress. Taking a walk across to where the duck was I saw it had line wrapped around its leg, there must have been 20-30 feet of mono. Fortunately once I cut the line the duck was fine but had I not been there who knows what the end result may have been.

dell

Reaction score
yup, one of my pet hates! same as litter, absolutely no need for it!
we have that natural abillity (as humans) to ruine the very things we enjoy so much.
i recover everything where possible. any trimmings, off cuts of line go back in my tackle bag so gets sorted and binned when i get home.
same with rubbish, it goes in the tackle bag and binned at home.
i can assure you by the end of a session my tackle bags a tip but small price to pay for keeping the wildlife around our waters a bit safer :)

dezza

Reaction score
Unfortunately last year on the Trent I came upon a number of pegged in set lines, incorporating monofilament of large diameter. In all cases I pulled these in and noticed the baited hook paternosters, a few of which had been taken by perch and swallowed.

The perch were dead of course.

Line of the same diameter was also strewn around, and this could have easily have caught up with birds or other wildlife.

The lines were taken home and disposed of.

We, as caring anglers, are very concerned regarding the dangers of discarded line, and to be fair a lot of this sort of thing is not the work of British nationals.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
That may well be true Ron but fishing yesterday not only did I take my line and rubbish away but also a sweet corn tin that had been cut in half andtrod on into the ground

And this was probably a local angler , what an arseole

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Unfortunately last year on the Trent I came upon a number of pegged in set lines, incorporating monofilament of large diameter. In all cases I pulled these in and noticed the baited hook paternosters, a few of which had been taken by perch and swallowed.

The perch were dead of course.

Line of the same diameter was also strewn around, and this could have easily have caught up with birds or other wildlife.

The lines were taken home and disposed of.

We, as caring anglers, are very concerned regarding the dangers of discarded line, and to be fair a lot of this sort of thing is not the work of British nationals.

to be fair a lot of this sort of thing is not the work of British nationals

To be fair I think as a generalisation thats untrue most of the places I fish are only fished by BRitish nationals and I have tidied up a lot of line including a sweetcorn tin tied up in a tree.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That may well be true Ron but fishing yesterday not only did I take my line and rubbish away but also a sweet corn tin that had been cut in half andtrod on into the ground

And this was probably a local angler , what an arseole

I have met such ********s paul, trouble is that when you try to say something to them they just tell you to f@**k off!!

Mark

eugene sax

Reaction score
30072011244.jpg

[BTW Not the point I was trying to make by posting the picture, but this was caught on a Pheasant Tail, not a Czech nymph. In 15 years fishing it, I've never met any ee's on the upper Ure where this was taken, last August]

Last edited: