Nikon Announce New Cameras

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

For all you photography buffs out there, Nikon have announced two new DSLR cameras.

<u>The D300:</u>

Read about it here<div align="center">
nikond300.jpg

<u>and the D3</u>

Read about it here<div align="center">
nikond3.jpg

Anybody interested in buying a D200?

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The D3 is full frame like the Canon 5D. I'll bet the Monk buys one.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

I'll bet Graham gets the D3.

50 quid for your D200 mate!

And whilst we are at it, 100 quid for your Daystate!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA) (COMEDIAN)/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

R

/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

T

The Monk

I bet i will Graham, when I get some more brass, it will be a fantastic camera although I might wait till the D4 comes out

R

Well you have to have something to dangle undernieth your habit mate to keep your street cred. The other things have stopped working!

alan

Reaction score
the d3 is getting a bit of a slagging off else where.

something to do with it being a full frame, meaning that with most of the current lenses about it works as a 6mp model.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

That the Nikon D3 has been introduced with a full frame sensor (approximately equal to 35mm) to compete with Canon’s EOS 5D. Both cameras will crop images from their 12 megapixels to about 5 megapixels if used with digital rather than full format lenses.

This isn’t a fault, as they were never made to use DX (digital) format lenses.

Anyone buying an EOS 5D or a Nikon D3 will know full well that they need to use full format lenses (those designed in the first instance for 35mm film cameras). That’s the idea of making a full format digital camera; pointless if you use digital lenses on it.

Nikon say: “The D3 delivers full resolution 12.1 megapixel images at up to nine frames per second when used with conventional AF-NIKKOR lenses. When used with DX NIKKOR lenses, the D3 automatically switches to the DX-format mode that uses a cropped portion of the sensor to generate 5.1 megapixel resolution images. While in this mode, the D3 automatically masks the portion of the viewfinder that will not be photographed.”

Whoever is slagging off the D3 for doing what it's supposed to do must work for a rival company
smile_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
no, the people slagging it off are the ones who brought the dx lenses as nikon said they would not go full frame with the d3. quite a few people have been caught out by it.

im trying to find a fuji s2/s3 for the right money.

T

Terry Comerford

Don't buy a full frame camera unless you have a set of top end professional lenses.

A full frame will show all all manner of defects in lower and mid range lenses.