Hemp

theartist

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that hemp has little effect in winter as a loosefeed?

I have been experimenting for the last two months trotting for Barbel, Chub and Roach with and without hemp and the results are inconclusive, if anything just using maggotts has seen me bank more Barbel and the same amount of Chub and Roach.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I find hemp is a very good holding bait in winter, I just use less than in the warmer months - about one pint per session for barbel and probably about the same for roach and chub.
Jerry

Simon K

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that hemp has little effect in winter as a loosefeed?

I have been experimenting for the last two months trotting for Barbel, Chub and Roach with and without hemp and the results are inconclusive, if anything just using maggotts has seen me bank more Barbel and the same amount of Chub and Roach.

I think it's an excellent loose-feed all year round, just use less in winter. I can't vouch for trotting, but a bed of it (warmer conditions - more; cold conditions - less) is a great "holder" of fish especially with maggot (or castor) or bread fished over the top.

By the way, hallo "theartist" how have you been doing "up-river"? :)

theartist

Reaction score
Hey Simon - Ive been doing pretty good on the Ivel ;) and have had some red letter days up there this winter without the little black seeds, which prompted my debate on the merits of the black stuff this time of year.

Jerry - surely a pint of hemp on the deck is way too much in winter especially if i'm trying to get them competing for my moving bait?

Rob

themyth

Reaction score
im no expert,but personally don't think you can over bait with hemp' even in the winter months.
as long as you use a nice bright attractive hookbait over the top.
in summer months it can be a bit of a struggle to get a bite fishing over the top of big amounts of hemp'as they seem to get pre-occupied on the stuff.
in my opinion its by far the best attractor regardless of water temprature and conditions.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hey Simon - Ive been doing pretty good on the Ivel ;) and have had some red letter days up there this winter without the little black seeds, which prompted my debate on the merits of the black stuff this time of year.

Jerry - surely a pint of hemp on the deck is way too much in winter especially if i'm trying to get them competing for my moving bait?

Rob

Nope, I believe a pint is usually about right - it works for me and depending on conditions I'm certainly not suggesting that it has to be introduced all at once.
Jerry
PS Isn't angling great when we can all get different feedback (pardon the pun) and results from similar tactics.

Simon K

Reaction score
Float-fishing I'd think you'd want to feed little and often (like maggots) just before each cast, not putting a bed on the bottom and fishing over it?

The method is the movement?

theartist

Reaction score
Float-fishing I'd think you'd want to feed little and often (like maggots) just before each cast, not putting a bed on the bottom and fishing over it?

The method is the movement?

Exactly, which is what i do. The last thing i'd want to do is put a bed down of any feed when i want them off the bottom intercepting my bait..

I'm finding that trickling maggots is doing away for the need for hemp when floatfishing this time of year. I wonder though if there is a temperature cut off come november/december each year when the hemp should be left at home?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I still use hemp in the winter - for roach in particular. Little and often, fed much nearer to the catching zone than the maggots as it sinks quicker - in some swims with complex currents, i am sometimes only confident that the hemp is actually getting where its supposed to go.