Hi-tec v classic!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi chaps,
just bought a new Barbour westmorland thorn-proof waistcoat after my old one gave up the ghost after 25 years!
Just wondered if any of of you wear (or still wear) the good old Barbour (or other brand) wax clothing or do you favour the more modern fabrics? I have allways liked my Barbour garments for my fishing, dog walking, shooting etc but I tend to use more up to date fabrics for my hill walking as they offer a more practical solution on the hill.

Mark

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Personally I gave up on waxed stuff years ago Mark but that was because I only ever needed something to keep me warm & dry when I was fishing. I dont think waxed gear ever did that terribly well.

The modern stuff does that much better but is probably not as "robust" as a waxed coat. That said you're right....here is still a place for the good old Barbour if what you do takes you to places/situations where you need something a bit tougher. If I shot or spent a lot of time in wilder places I'd probably still have one too. A Northumbria.

flightliner

Reaction score
If ever you are in Milan in the wintertime make sure you are wearing it . They go nuts for the stuff over there as they see it as quintisentially english. This is reflected in the prices in the Barbour shop window in the town centre (More than double) My Northumbria is twenty five or so years old and a guy literally stopped me in the piatsa(spelling) Domo and offered me almost what I paid for it there and then.
I was sorely tempted but politely declined his offer.
I have just treated myself to their new "Chelsea" jacket which to be honest is lovely but really not worth the money (one northern outfitter in the north west is selling them for £145 but john lewis's had a blue label day or something like that and they were asking less than a hundred quid.
I do like the wax jobs but to be honest I now wear other stuff on the bankside but when shooting they're ok but when out beating they (Ifind)are to tiring at the end of a hard days walking thro rough terrain, for that I use mostly old army stuff with a goretex jacket when its very wet.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Didn't even wear a Barbour in my Norton International days in the 60's......................but then again - was I really there:confused::D:rolleyes:
Jerry

Morespiders

Reaction score
Wish my d i c k was as stiff as a Barbour on a cold winters day, I had 3, gave them away one by one over the years, ok in their day, but not for me anymore

little oik

Reaction score
Started off with a Parka then a Belstaff jacket then moved on to the high tec stuff and now gone nearly full circle back to waxed cotton jacket . Cannot beat them in my opinion.

Just like us Look better with age :wh

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If ever you are in Milan in the wintertime make sure you are wearing it . They go nuts for the stuff over there as they see it as quintisentially english. This is reflected in the prices in the Barbour shop window in the town centre (More than double) My Northumbria is twenty five or so years old and a guy literally stopped me in the piatsa(spelling) Domo and offered me almost what I paid for it there and then.
I was sorely tempted but politely declined his offer.
I have just treated myself to their new "Chelsea" jacket which to be honest is lovely but really not worth the money (one northern outfitter in the north west is selling them for £145 but john lewis's had a blue label day or something like that and they were asking less than a hundred quid.
I do like the wax jobs but to be honest I now wear other stuff on the bankside but when shooting they're ok but when out beating they (Ifind)are to tiring at the end of a hard days walking thro rough terrain, for that I use mostly old army stuff with a goretex jacket when its very wet.

I have a border jacket that I have had for about 17 years and a few months ago a chap in my local said that in Europe they would sell their granny for it even in the condition it's in (it's not been proofed for a few years!) because the stuff is really expensive over there.
I cannot understand Barbour pricing on their quilted jackets, they range from about £90 to £180 but most look the same, and no I don't think they are worth the money ether as someone told they are not as warm as you think they are going to be! (John Norris always seem to have a Barbour sale on the quilted coats ok if you can get the right size!)
One reason I do like Barbour is that they still make the stuff here (well, apart from the odd item) and I really like the chunky Scottish made sporting jumper, yes, they are expensive at around £80 but you will never find such quality and warmth in Next or Burtons!!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like most I've had mine for about 20 years but rarely use it in the Winter.

Its great for wet Summer days or even into the early Autumn, but after that its modern hi-tec clothing every time for me.

I do tend to use it though for shopping at the weekends though, and you still see quite a lot of them in town (Salisbury) even today.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like most I've had mine for about 20 years but rarely use it in the Winter.

Its great for wet Summer days or even into the early Autumn, but after that its modern hi-tec clothing every time for me.

I do tend to use it though for shopping at the weekends though, and you still see quite a lot of them in town (Salisbury) even today.

I go to the CLA gamefair every year and I see thousands of the things! Barbour have got rather expensive in the last few years, but with everything these days you have to pay a little extra for quality and the Barbour brand has always been at the front when it comes to quality BRITISH workmanship!

mark

beerweasel

Reaction score
I don't understand why anybody would want a wax waistcoat.
If it's raining I would want something with sleeves.
If it's not then why have waxed ?
Unless it's a fashion thing. :w

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand why anybody would want a wax waistcoat.
If it's raining I would want something with sleeves.
If it's not then why have waxed ?
Unless it's a fashion thing. :w

The Barbour waistcoat is a great piece of kit worn over a nice wool sweater when you get those nice autumn days when there is just a nip in the air but it's to warm for a coat. it's also great for round the garden, a day at the races, shopping and down the pub!

Mark

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I go to the CLA gamefair every year and I see thousands of the things!

Me too...but plenty of them have never been muddy or wet.... nor will they ever be. Dont get me wrong...Barbours are good gear but there is better weatherproof clothing around though probably not better waxed clothing. Ditto Hunter wellies....vastly overpriced and average at best [shocking IMO] but people still buy them.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Me too...but plenty of them have never been muddy or wet.... nor will they ever be. Dont get me wrong...Barbours are good gear but there is better weatherproof clothing around though probably not better waxed clothing. Ditto Hunter wellies....vastly overpriced and average at best [shocking IMO] but people still buy them.

I agree s- Kippy, hunter wellies are rubbish, it's a wonder no body has broke their neck in a pair of these, the sole and heel are just shocking! Folk just buy them because of the name, much better off with a pair of aigle with proper walking soles, even though they cost an arm and a leg. What ever happened to the good old NCB wellies, Oh, thats right that good old girl Mrs T put an end to that!!!

Mark

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I have had my Barbour Border Jacket for more years than I care to remember. I never use it for fishing, but it is my first choice for watching the rugby at Bath.

The re-proofing is a two yearly ritual.

There may be modern alternative fabrics, but they don't cut the mustard or have the timeless style of a Barbour. Sure, they are expensive, but most things that are worthwhile and longlasting are!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Each to their own I guess. For years I wore waxed jackets but once I discovered breathable fabrics,fleeces and layering that was it. I've never been cold or wet since and I'd never go back to wax now.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Hunters are rubbish. I bought a pair of bog ordinary Aigle wellies about 30 years ago and though they've almost had it now I still use them. Proper boots.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had my Barbour Border Jacket for more years than I care to remember. I never use it for fishing, but it is my first choice for watching the rugby at Bath.

The re-proofing is a two yearly ritual.

There may be modern alternative fabrics, but they don't cut the mustard or have the timeless style of a Barbour. Sure, they are expensive, but most things that are worthwhile and longlasting are!

Rugby, good choice terry!
I have a friend who was given a Barbour Beaufort as a leaving gift from his last job (lucky sod!) and he said that even though he never thought about buying one as they were too expensive (he is an accountant, but very tight!) but he never has it off his back now and he say's its the most stylish jacket for watching his beloved Leicester tigers in!

Mark