Golden scale club

themyth

Reaction score
hi guys,any info on where i can pick up an application form to join the club?
many of you guys members?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's a bunch of 21 friends (none of whom I know); there is no "form" to fill in.

You've more chance of getting into the Houghton club (25 members) or the Order of Merit (24).

Round up some friends and start your own, they're just a posse of pals having fun.

alchemist

Reaction score
Like Alan says it is basically just a fairly small group of friends which is centred on Chris Yates. It is not a club in any normal sense of the word.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Myth, why not join PaSC much more conviviable than those fuddy duddy clubs?
Plus membership is easily obtained

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Chris Yates books are among my favourites , however , the Golden Scale Club .dressing up like victorian gents all that tweed and those deerstalkers , vintage tackle and creels all a bit lah -dee -dah for me . Fruitcakes.

dezza

Reaction score
To be honest its just a bit of a laugh. Peter Stone was "invited" to join the Golden Scale Club. He went to one of their gudgeon "fish-ins", but when they saw his carbon Drennan rods and Shimano reels he was "black gaffed".

It would cost you a fortune to be accepted as a member. Motor cars are not allowed; you would have to get a horse or a late Victorian bicycle. A session at a bespoke tailor to obtain Norfolk jacket and breeks would cost at least 4 grand, then there are the incidentals like a Kelly kettle and a couple of Barder split cane rods. Thats another 3 grand.

How the heck Chris Yates affords membership I do not know, he's as poor as a church mouse.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Plus membership is easily obtained
Bribary probably. ;)

Better chance of joining The Compleat Anglers, it is a matter of who you know to get in though. No rules (well 6), no particular dress convention (other than no bare chests), no matches (frowned upon as being 'common'), but only 16 are in. Cost is not an issue either, it's just a matter of whether there's enough years left in your life to stay on the waiting list.

Better if you just bung MoreSpiders a backhander for £2000 and join PaSC. :D (They're not really that fussy, it's up the bribary amount, that's all.)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Then you have to learn how to brew tea in the traditional way, and on a fish in you have to bring your quota of fruitcake to consume with the tea. They all meet at a suitable hostelry which is just down the road from Yates' house, after awaking Yates of course, he's a swine to get out of bed.

The first part of the day is spent reading poems and prayers to Isaak Walton who has a shrine in said pub. Oh and by the way, new members are "baptised" in Kennet water and re-named. Peter Stone was named "The Professor". Where they get Kennet "water" from these days is a mystery as the river has dried up!

It's all very weird.

themyth

Reaction score
i have an old hardy splitcane/greenheart rod in the garage with an old allcocks pin on it,an old raleigh burner b.m.x for transport,sort the clobber out no probs as my brother works at countryman.
forget it..im going to set up my own little club for the elite essox angler of yester year. '' the ledgered golden spinner crew''
anyone want in? give me a p.m:)

p.s memberships almost free...

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You might try the Red Spinners. I think it's around £250 or so per year and you get a lovely leather bound ring binder rule book and loads of waters to fish, many down your way, I'm sure. You have to be nominated and attend one of their meetings, I think in Baker Street, London, but after that, they'll have anybody.
;)

True!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No tweed or cane rods required for gudgeon fishing.
If you aren't a member already www. guggs.org
may be an alternative.....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
'' the ledgered golden spinner crew''

Motto: "Look, we all make mistakes!"?*

Sounds good, but I'm afraid the Tidal test is way out of my reach - pension, petrol prices, yada, yada.

*Posh Paul might be able to translate that into Latin, for a fee! Nearest I can get is "Vide, omnes erramus", but that's probably a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Have fun!

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Close, but no cigar, according to Google Translate, which gives: Vultu, omnes errare.

Won'tcha sound posh?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Bribary probably.

Probably that's why he is always selling his old tackle.

He is supposed to be a pro photographer, but I think that went by the wayside as he refused to use a digital camera.

Poor old Chris, I rather like the guy, although I sometimes wish he would stop being the ultimate Luddite and get out of his Ray Webb and Wurzel Gummage ways.