Carp for sale in Morrisons

Foxy

Reaction score
Whats that all about? have Morrisons considered the back lash from the fish loving UK public? or am i just being a bit over sensitve? who are the target markets, eastern european migrants?have read in old recipe books that eating carp is like "cotton wool full of needles"

Discuss whilst i eat my kitten and puppy fritter

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hey a fellow gas head /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Might stop em robbing the rivers and lakes round here? St George lake is another one that is suffering from fish thefts (carp).

MikeW

Reaction score
Absolutely, the carp for salehave most probably been farmed for the food market and if it stops a few from thieving fish from our waters then it's no bad thing.

Foxy

Reaction score
Mike, what if i sends out the signal that eating carp is ok and gets more people to try it? to be fair, the one that i saw in Morrisons didnt look like it had been hammered by some Noddy with a pole /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

didnt know there was a lake in St George steve? been in exile in the Midlands for teh last 7 years. good win on saturday, not to sure about the green away kit again though!

F

Fred Bonney

Carp have been on sale in many shops for many,many years.They were bred in Israel for our Jewish community.

Roach and bream were also a common sight,certainly in the market places of London..

What are the owners of St George's doing about it,Steve?

E

EC

It's not like we are currently short of carp is it?

There have been coarse fish for sale at fishmongers and marketsin Merseyside for at least 25 years. They used to stock roach bigger than what I could catch, as a kid (even now d'oh) one of the fellas in the marketonce told methe roach and bream they stocked were imported from Holland.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Wolverhampton market always used to have a comprehensive array of roach, bream, carp etc etc.....and as Eddie said the roach were very thick set large meaty fish!

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
I used to feel the same when I saw carp on sale in the supermarkets but to be honest these fish are bred and farmed specifically for the fish counter.

B

Bully

So its all right to eat depleted cods stocks, but not carp?

I have eaten carp many times, great eating, and I'd never be a hypocrite to say its ok for one and not another.....just so long as we do not endanger a species.

MikeW

Reaction score
There's a fish mongers in my town that's sold carp & bream on and off for over20 years.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Fred they are doing nothing about it, neither are the E.A!

It's owned by the council, free fishing.

If you wanna get stabbed or mugged, St George's lake is the place to go!!!

Foxy

Reaction score
Steve, my nan used to live in St George then moved to st Werburghs (scuse spelling). Shes 93 now and when she was little they (along with st pauls) where some of the most exclusive areas in Bristol. All the houses (most knocked down now) where coaching houses for people traveling through town, some are still left though, they were all 5-6 storeys high to house all of the travellers and the people to look after the horses.

Now its err not quite as nice!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

As Eddie C says, it's not as though we are short of the damn things is it.

The waters of Britain would all benefit if the carp were thinnedout substantially. Allow the proper fishmore space

T

The Monk

smiley29.gif

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

Just out of interest,how much are they selling it for?

If its cheap enough I might get some for deadbaits..../forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

Just out of interest,how much are they selling it for?

If its cheap enough I might get some for deadbaits..../forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Foxy

Reaction score
doesnt say on the website. carp are a bit big to hoy around as a deadbait maybe? just seems a funny thing for a supermarket chain to want to sell especially in the UK

Wonder if carp that live on pellets taste different to ones that have been eating sweetcorn?!?