Norfolk advice...

Andyw

Reaction score
Hi all...

We're cashing in the Tesco vouchers and going for a cheap week at a Haven park in Norfolk. Hopton-On-Sea to be more precise... Its in between Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

I know its on the Broads and by the sea. I was wondering if any of you stout fellows had information or advice on the fishing that way? If its free so much the better!!

I'd also like to try a bit of sea fishing? Will my carp rod be ok off the beach or pier? What line would I need to step up to? What other kit would I need for that? What about boat trips fishing? Is it worthwhile? How about cost for those kinda trips?

I'm hoping to keep my two lads occupied for at least a couple of days while we are there!! Well to try and keep them from spunking all my cash in the arcades at least!!!

Thanks very much

Andy

P.S Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place!!

Waveney One

Reaction score
Most of the Broads fishing is now controlled by one club or anoher. Norwich & District have a very cheap book that entitles you to fish on lots of the Bure. If you are mobile then go to somewhere like Angling Direct in Beccles or Norwich, Gorlestone Angling Centre or Floaters in Yarmouth or I believe there is still Sam Hook in Lowestoft. At Oulton Broad in the park there, there is another small shop. Ask them for info or a Norwich & D AA book and advice on where is fishing well at present.

You can get Norwich & District AA day tickets for the Bure at St Bennet's Abbey from the post office and general store in Ludham.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=St+Benets+Abbey&sll=52.706971,

1.517487&sspn=0.0467,0.11673&ie=UTF8&lr=lang_en&cd=1&ll=52.704293,1.534567&spn=0.011676,0.029182&z=15&om=1

Great fishing for roach and skimmers but a lot of boats.

Waveney One

Reaction score
For sea fishing, the carp rod would be OK for light fishing but you need to wash down the rod and reel after use otherwise it will corrode. There is quite a drop from the cliff top to the beach at Hopton and a weary climb back up the steps. Should be a few whiting showing now, maybe a small bass or two. 15lb line ample, 2 or 3 ounce leads. For bass and maybe the odd dover sole don't go much past the first breaker.

Andyw

Reaction score
Thanks very much... Not going to be mobile.. the wife will probably be in the pool and I don't drive!!!

Only wanna fill a couple of days, anymore and I'd be castrated no doubt!! lol

I'll certainly ask around when I get down that way!!

Andyw

Reaction score
What should I use for bait?

I guess I can buy that locally along with hooks and terminal tackle etc?

Waveney One

Reaction score
Yep, you can buy all that locally. For whiting, fish baits are generally good and may catch you a bass. For dover sole, then a small hook with a bit of ragworm works.