Big Brother

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
...just been catching up on some old threads and found the one about CCTV installations at Irish fisheries...horrendous! I think it a futile hope, but I DO hope this sinister imposition never gets a grip on our countryside: once it does, you may as well give up. It's bad enough knowing you can be tracked from Lands End to John o'Groats, and that your e-mails and texts are all readable by the powers-that-be; but if the day should ever come when a fishing trip, a picnic, a stroll in the woods or a romantic encounter in a corn field is being monitored by some servant of the State, our lives would be near worthless. I don't doubt there are already cameras in rural environments - indeed, I've seen one in a farmer's back garden - but I would urge anyone who sees a 'hidden' camera pointing down at them from a tree to scale that tree and destroy the offending equipment.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
...just been catching up on some old threads and found the one about CCTV installations at Irish fisheries...horrendous! I think it a futile hope, but I DO hope this sinister imposition never gets a grip on our countryside: once it does, you may as well give up. It's bad enough knowing you can be tracked from Lands End to John o'Groats, and that your e-mails and texts are all readable by the powers-that-be; but if the day should ever come when a fishing trip, a picnic, a stroll in the woods or a romantic encounter in a corn field is being monitored by some servant of the State, our lives would be near worthless. I don't doubt there are already cameras in rural environments - indeed, I've seen one in a farmer's back garden - but I would urge anyone who sees a 'hidden' camera pointing down at them from a tree to scale that tree and destroy the offending equipment.

if you are innocent you have nothing to fear

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Some sympathies with you Cliff, but -
anyone who sees a 'hidden' camera pointing down at them from a tree to scale that tree and destroy the offending equipment.
Supposing that camera is to watch out for fly tippers?

We have them in our woodland because fly tipping is a problem. Daft thing is, teh dump is just 5 minutes away - but they charge commercial tippers so they dump it in our woods instead.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Only criminals have to worry.
Poachers
Fly tippers
Egg collectors
Metal thieves
Rustlers

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Benny: I trust your comment was a tongue-in-cheek parody of the unthinking! Yes...of course it was! Wasn't it???????:confused: And Jeff: presumably the site you refer to is close to a road and not deep in the woods or countryside, in which case I would consider this more acceptable. As it happens, I passionately feel that CCTV has absolutely no legitimacy other than for traffic control or similar. Acceptance of 24 hr surveillance is to accept the failure or, more probably, the designs of politicians and police ever-eager to control our lives.The vast majority of people are decent and basically honest; if we allow the criminal element - and, therefore, the police - to effectively dictate the quality of our lives, we don't deserve to be free. We could have a virtually crime-free country TOMORROW if the government wanted it, but they freely choose to keep the criminal pot boiling; put it this way: if the next half dozen violent muggers were banged up and made to do hard labour on a South Atlantic penal colony for the rest of their natural lives and it was publicized by both Press and Government 'because we want a decent society' the problem would stop overnight.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny: I trust your comment was a tongue-in-cheek parody of the unthinking! Yes...of course it was! Wasn't it???????:confused: And Jeff: presumably the site you refer to is close to a road and not deep in the woods or countryside, in which case I would consider this more acceptable. As it happens, I passionately feel that CCTV has absolutely no legitimacy other than for traffic control or similar. Acceptance of 24 hr surveillance is to accept the failure or, more probably, the designs of politicians and police ever-eager to control our lives.The vast majority of people are decent and basically honest; if we allow the criminal element - and, therefore, the police - to effectively dictate the quality of our lives, we don't deserve to be free. We could have a virtually crime-free country TOMORROW if the government wanted it, but they freely choose to keep the criminal pot boiling; put it this way: if the next half dozen violent muggers were banged up and made to do hard labour on a South Atlantic penal colony for the rest of their natural lives and it was publicized by both Press and Government 'because we want a decent society' the problem would stop overnight.

to be honest I would rather my civil liberties were infringed slightly so that some little old lady could walk down the street undisturbed and I am a loony lefty

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but has'nt the Government set out a timetable for a sizeable reduction in the number of CCTV monitoring equipment that is presently in use.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
if the next half dozen violent muggers were banged up and made to do hard labour on a South Atlantic penal colony for the rest of their natural lives and it was publicized by both Press and Government 'because we want a decent society' the problem would stop overnight.
Absolutely agree. I was just making the point that not all cameras are bad, but most are.