things that make you smile!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was walking along the river yarrow in Chorley yesterday (I keep hoping to see a few fish in there but no luck...YET!) and I spotted two kingfishers in 10 mins. It really gladdens my heart when I see wildlife like kingfishers, dippers, and voles back on once polluted waters and it makes me smile to think things are really picking up.
Have any of you noticed things changing for the better, ie, wildlife coming back?

Mark

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Kingfishers have been more affected by the warmer climate. Back in the 60,70s you would be lucky to see a kingfisher. Now I see them all the time when I am fishing. I once had one land on my rod and once saw about ten of them sitting in a tree on the throop fishery Dorset stour. which was very unusual; I think they were young birds.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kingfishers have been more affected by the warmer climate. Back in the 60,70s you would be lucky to see a kingfisher. Now I see them all the time when I am fishing. I once had one land on my rod and once saw about ten of them sitting in a tree on the throop fishery Dorset stour. which was very unusual; I think they were young birds.

It's nothing to do with the warmer climate, the reason you never saw them years ago is because most rivers had raw sewerage piped straight in to them!
The Victorians were very clever at building sewers and such but they were rubbish at treating the stuff that went through them!

Mark

maceo

Reaction score
I saw a red kite hovering over the fields while I was fishing last Thursday. A lovely sight.

I think he was looking at the ducks to see if he could pick out a bit of lunch.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I saw a sparrow hawk whist fishing just before Christmas - swooped down past me and then roosted in a tree for 10 minutes - at time like that it makes a session even if you blank

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Saw a kingfisher skimming the surface of the Arrow yesterday, wish it could have decimated the minnow population while it was there :wh
Highlight of a morning session :eek:mg:

You are not having a dig at the anti otter lot there by any chance???

Mark

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

I saw a red kite hovering over the fields while I was fishing last Thursday. A lovely sight.

I think he was looking at the ducks to see if he could pick out a bit of lunch.

The ducks are ok mate, and so is the rest of the wildlife as kites only eat carrion. It took centuries before gamekeepers realised this and started to leave them alone, some even encourage them to come on to their land to ''clean up''

Mark

bradp

Reaction score
Always makes me smile when a robin lands on the end of the rod, until it does it buisness on the reels!!

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Went to the Dorset Stour yesterday morning, it was misty as I walked to the River and on a fence post sat a huge buzzard that flew off as I approached.I saw a kingfisher ,white egret and a grey heron in the first hour. Then had a woodpecker on a tree behind me for a while.
Didn't see another angler on the stretch I was fishing and didn't catch the pike I was hoping for either......

terry m

Reaction score
Went to the Dorset Stour yesterday morning, it was misty as I walked to the River and on a fence post sat a huge buzzard that flew off as I approached.I saw a kingfisher ,white egret and a grey heron in the first hour. Then had a woodpecker on a tree behind me for a while.
Didn't see another angler on the stretch I was fishing and didn't catch the pike I was hoping for either......

That post reminds me of a visit to a restaurant whilst working in Warsaw a couple of years ago, believe it or not buzzard was on the menu! I plumped (no pun intended) for duck instead !

themyth

Reaction score
on my way to the windrush friday evening i walked down doggers lane past a young couple in a silver astra with the interior light on,put a smile on my face.

nipped back a couple of times later on aswell,thanks to the couple in the white saxo!:D