Hugh Falkus/Bernard Venables

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Hi All ...growing up in the 60s i remember watching a television fishing series with Bernard Venables each week and also vividly recall the late great Hugh Falkus demonstrating falling in the River with a pair of chest waders on and how easy it was to swim back to the bankside ...does anyone know what these old series were called ....many thanks in advance.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The Hugh Falkus was a one-off film, "Salmo the Leaper",which is available to buy on VHS video:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000011131

I grew up in the 60stoo, but I don't remember a series with Bernard Venables - you're not maybe thinking of Jack Hargreaves "Out of Town" or "Country Boy", which both often featured angling?

I was living in London then, so the one you remember might have been a regional offering, perhaps?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
the programme you are thinking of was called "anglers corner" it consisted of 15min programmes and featured a different species of fish in everyone.Every episodestarted with bernard having a a talk about where to catch the featured fish and what tackle etc... he would use.The rest of the programme then featured on a guest angler fishing for the featured species etc..... before bernard gave his goodbyes etc......

The programmes were originally aired on bbc2 in 1968 and made/produced/filmed by bernard and a chap called max munden,according to the notes on the case.

I stumbled across an old video in fantastic condition at a car boot sale last summer which had 4 episodes on it....bream,tench,roach and chub.The seller wanted 50p for it so i snapped it up!!!!!

When i got home with it,i did some googling etc..... and discovered it was one of two tapes to buy/collect.If memory serves me correct,the other tape has trout,salmon and possibly grayling or barbel on it????

The videos were deleted from sale donkeys years ago i suspect and are probably rarer than cuckoo clock poop.I keep meaning to send a pic and a letter off to chris sandford to see if he can shed anymore light on the programmes and value the tape i have.I reckon a keen collector would sell their own grandmother to pay for it!!!!

malc donaldson

Reaction score
cheers Nick/David..at last after all these years i now know the names of these wonderfull programs and i shall keep look out on Ebay from time to time in the hope they may turn up...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
It's all coming back to me now - we had a ropey old rental TV at the time, that couldn't pick up BBC2....

/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

B

Bill Cox

I have all of them Monk and very good they are too. He was a master at getting the message across in a relaxed easy tounderstand way. I would recomend them to anyone. However Amazon are selling them for half the price of farming books, £6.00 a dvd.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Jack Hargreaves! A genuine man of many talents with a deep understanding and knowledge of the countryside. I used to hang on every word he said. I also once met him( with my father) at the 'Southern Television' beach championships at Deal (Kent)., I was totally awe struck by the man, he had great presence. An absolutelegend.

Another great angler (ibelieve) who was aroundat the same time as Hargreaves was Ollie(Oliver) Kite, he also had a television prog.anyone remember him.

I read somewhere that'Ollie once said that he could catch a trout blindfolded, and went on to do just that, while the cameras were rolling too. Dont know if thats true or not, who cares, its a good tale.

F

Fred Bonney

If you want a good read about Jack,have a look for Paul Peacock's,

Jack HargreavesA Portrait

Jack's own books

Out of Town ,and The Old Country, are still available.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
"Another great angler (ibelieve) who was aroundat the same time as Hargreaves was Ollie(Oliver) Kite, he also had a television prog.anyone remember him."

Yes, he was JH's co-presenter on "Country Boy" - big handlebar moustached bloke who I believe pioneered the art of upstream nymphing. I remember one showin whichhe was enticing badgers out of their setts with Maltesers. You couldn't mention brand names on the Beeb in the 60s, so he had to keep referring to them as "chocolate-covered sweets"!