Cold Water Chub

Skoda

Reaction score
Top article Sean, your easy-reading style transports me to the riverbank every time. The 'method; results; conclusion' technique always leads to greater understanding of what you're trying to achieve. Nine decent chub is a great day out for anyone, well done and many thanks.

Andy:)

miken

Reaction score
Nice article , lets see if you can repeat it next weekend . :)
Mike

chav professor

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this article Sean. Couldn't agree more about your comments on float fishing. Should we get a little rain in the next few weeks, the float is unbeatable in searching out swims and producing larger numbers of good fish -a river travelling at walking pace is a dream at the moment.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks folks! I think a river travelling at walking pace will be a dream this weekend as I'm on the Warwickshire Avon. I think a big catch of chub from there is wishful thinking Mike!

miken

Reaction score
Will give you a few tips at the weekend then !!! Are you at the Lido stretch first ?
cheers
Mike

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this article Sean. Couldn't agree more about your comments on float fishing. Should we get a little rain in the next few weeks, the float is unbeatable in searching out swims and producing larger numbers of good fish -a river travelling at walking pace is a dream at the moment.

I know that you're probably referring more to the pace of the river than the colour Christian, but float fishing can make a big difference to your success rate whatever the conditions. Here's an example:

Yesterday on a low and clear Warwickshire Avon in vile weather my mate Mick 'Chubby' Beecroft got bored waiting for Mr Barbel and walked back to the car for a loaf of bread and his float rod. An hour's fishing bread on the float resulted in five chub, 3 of which were over 5lb. To rub salt into the wounds in my vanity (I had stayed snug under my brolly) he then returned to his original swim and caught an 8lb barbel.

I blanked.....:w

andreagrispi

Reaction score
A belated review of your article.

Excellent read.

I was fortunate to find a chub hold-up swim on the last couple of days of the season (March'14). I fished a swim with obvious numbers of chub in residence - caught 9 with the best two of 5.10 and 5.11, but lost too many.

I decided to fish the swim on the last day of the season, a couple of days after the initial session. I elected to fish a heavier main line (4lb maxima) and 4.12lb reflo hook length. I also decided to raise the rod high up on striking, so as to keep the chub on the river bed and away from the trailing branches. It all worked a dream with very few fish lost. I fished for 5 hours and caught 19 chub and 3 grayling. The chub were big......almost all were over 4lb and SIX were over 5lb, the two best going 5.14 and 5.13 - all on the float. A great session.