Best Boilie

G

Gary Knowles

I'm planning on a fishing a large local water in the next few weeks. The water is predominantly fished by carp anglers but I'm interested in the roach potential.

Thing is, there are lots of small fish present which pretty much rules out maggot, caster, even corn gets battered (yes i know I can use artificail), so my plan is to use mini-boilies.

I just wondered if you carp anglers had ever picked up 'nuciance' roach and if so whether the boiles used had been fruit flavoured, fishmeal, etc...just to give me a few ideas.

For the record I'm planning on starting with fruit (strawberry, pineaple) and scopex flavours, both of which i've caught plenty of roach on when using as a maggot flavouring.

thanks, in advance.

Gary

E

EC

I reckon the richworths scopexmidi would be as good as anything, when piddling about for tench last season I caught both roach and rudd on these.

You've got a PM Gaz.

B

Big Rik

In my experience it depends on the baits used on the water.

If it's a pellet water, then banded 8mm halibuts, if it's a particle water, then quartered tigers.

Go with whatever is the predominant bait on the water.

I'm sure the local carpers will tell you what picks up the 'nuisance' fish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
well just personally i'd go for blue cheese,

nudge nudgewink wink say no more.

but i know a man whose had loads out of linear on source and suchlike.

G

Gary Knowles

thanks guys, keep em coming.

Hi Rik - the carp anglers are catching very fe roach. hows things ?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Do exactly what the Carp lads are doing if there 'aving em', scale it down a tad.

I'd still go with a Maggot approach though if only on one rod, will keep you busy whilst waiting for the 'Carp Style' rods are doing there own thing and you might well find this could be a winner, wade through the little blighters, i did last year and ended up with a 2.10.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fish - In?

Presumably the small stuff will get less active when it gets colder Gary?

matt

Reaction score
I've seen roach in a tank ignore maggots but tear up the bottom to get at good old tutti frutti boilies I'd use them without hesitating.

T

teecee

If you read the thread titled 4lb roach record the guy who caught it gives details of the boilie he used-squid and something-so this might be worth a try.Personally I am not a boilie man and tend to stick with naturals so I would try to read some of the old books on roach fishing.For example David Carl Forbes in his book Successful Roach Fishingpublished in 1973 talks of whole lobworms for BIG roach and the use of bread in various forms but usually in big chunks.Also Walker,StoneGibbinson et al have written great books that give excellent info on fishing for big roach.Obviously boilies etc work well but I suggest some of the old fashion baits might just do it for you if you are prepared to put in the time to build up a series of swims with ONE bait.I believe the TYPE of swim/weather/time of year is as much important as what bait you use.This time of year is just coming into the best for roach and I will be fishing 15mm balls of pure fresh bread paste made at home and I will catch fish even though my lake has similar problems with carp/small fish.Some years ago I took a good bag of roach on a difficult water using elderberries with light hemp feeding BUT it took time and many blanks before I scored.My advice?Really do your homework if you are serious!!

Whatever you do I for one will be interested to see what recommendations you get-I might even try boilies for a change!!!

Good luck anyway!

T

teecee

Not to get boring but I am going to harp on about this'do your homework'theme.Perhaps you could give some more info on the type of water you are intending to fish;size of water,quality of water,water depths,pressure of fishing expected etc plus when youexpect tofish it(time of day)-this will help build up a picture of the water.Also,are you trying to catch lots of roach of(say)up to a 1lb or so or are you trying for really big fish but few of them that you KNOW are in the water?Do you have access/time where you can visit the water early evening to see if the roach roll just before it gets dark(which they invariably do over a prebaited swim when most anglers have gone home)and could you embark on a pre-baiting programme of a week or two where you could put in YOUR chosen bait every evening in a swim with some depth that offers the best chance?Do they have matches on your water where you could note where the odd big fish comes from at weigh-in time or have you talked to otherswho fish it regularly?The list is endless so it would be nice to hear what you are planning and not necessarily what baits might work from others!!Its like saying what is the best car for me to buy-it all depends on circumstances that only you know!!

Lets hear it from the roach man!!

G

Gary Knowles

Iknow, and to think I was just going to go, sit in the first swim I came to, and chuck a boilie out /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

B

Big Rik

Hence the reason for posting it in the carp forum where you didn't expect boring traditionalist to harp on about bread flake on a swan shot link.

I'd agree with Wol about a maggot approach with artificials.

Got some good rigs Barney if you want something different.

Sway roach went mad for fishmeals, Standlake were good on the maggot (strawberry) and <cough cough> roach loved mini tuttis, so worth switching about to you hit on a good one.

G

Gary Knowles

you got it Rik...

rigs?..do tell...PM will be splendid...

captain carrott

Reaction score
i got my best one on a lump of stilton fished really close in in deep water.

good luck with this, hope you catch a lump.

MikeW

Reaction score
There's a water near me where the carpers used to catch a lot of roach on tiger nuts and tiger nut boilies, hence they stopped using them, they still catch odd ones but not like they used to on those baits/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

T

teecee

I see Big Rik has a 3lb 3oz roach in his PB list-perhaps he could enlighten us as to what boilie he used to catch it,or did he sneak down to the Kennet under cover of darkness and use flake on a link ledger-perhaps he would really like to be a traditionalist buthe cannot face people finding out......!!

C.Carrot-has to be one of the best baits for big roach-but do you find it goes hard in colder water-did you use a paste or just solid cheese?