Forum Advice

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've been asked by a member, and a regular user of the forum, if I would have a word about message format, ie, how we type the messages in the box.

1. Please DON'T use all upper case (capital) letters. It looks like you're shouting and it isn't easy to read. If you don't want to use the shift key at all then it's better to use all lower case letters.

2. Try to avoid long paragraphs. Break the text up by occasionally hitting the enter key twice.

3. If you make a glaring mistake, don't worry. If I spot it I'll edit your posting as appropriate. If I don't spot it just drop me an email and tell me about it. Minor mistakes don't matter providing the message is clear.

4. Don't forget to send me your forum pictures if you're having trouble doing them yourself. I don't mind at all doing them, so don't hesitate.

5. And remember that none of these suggestions are written in stone, they are just that, suggestions, that make postings easier on the eye and a greater pleasure to read.

A

Andrew Webber

Hi Graham,

This reply has nothing to do with your post. I was just wondering what your role on this site is, are you the webmaster?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's a team job Andrew. FISHINGmagic is part of Magicalia Ltd's portfolio of sporting websites. In the London offices we have a technical team doing all the design and site building and maintenance, and a commercial team dealing with advertising and promotions, etc.

I'm the full time editor who looks after all the stuff you read on the site; news, articles and reviews, etc, etc.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And very abused by some for my efforts. It really is very upsetting, a thankless task that keeps me poor and crawling around for the odd crumb of comfort.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, young sarcy a*** above helps me to moderate the forum.

What I have to put up with............

A

Andrew Webber

Looks like a good job to me. Something involved with the sport you love.

R

Ron Clay

I suppose the reason you have to crawl Graham is that it's very difficult to stand upright with such a heavy wallet.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's a great job, I was only joking you know. And I get paid a King's ransom.

Jonathon King.

And how much would you get for him?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't think you would have got much before, but now............

C

Chris Bishop

Leaving fallen pop impressarios aside, I've often wondered how this would work with a 200wd limit for postings.

Kelvin Mackenzie (I think...) used to say there wasn't a story in the world that couldn't be told in a single paragraph.

You can tell the bible in 25 words.

So 200 of 'em should be more than enough for even the longest rant, description of that new killer rig, or embarrassing anecdote about what your mate gets up to in his bivvy.

Any thoughts..?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It would work if everyone had your skill for writing, but I think most of us would struggle to put some points across. And in some cases they would probably give up and say 'sod it' after several attempts to stay within the limit.

Which doesn't mean that you're not right, of course, just that I think too many restrictions could be off-putting to many.

S

Stuart Bullard

200 words is more than enough. Any more and they should write an article!

W

Wilson Marshall

Graeme,how do i acess the other sporting sites?,thanks.

J

John Pleasance

I'm not Graham obviously, (my wallet's too small and usually empty) but go right to the bottom of the page and on the right see "Loads more magic"

D

Dave Johnson

i wont ba able to access the site after 9pm watershed time at the weekeknd then......

these keys are much too close together when me and Stella are typing....

A

Ashe Hurst

How is one able to write articals for the weekley/monthly mags,how do you become a reconised angling writer?