The Unnatural History of the Sea

M

MarkTheSpark

Sounds like a book which had to come. I have read Cod: The Fish That Changed the World, and it served as a reminder of the fact that fish stocks take forever to recover.

Personally, I have removed fish from the home menu, especially farmed fish (which is only fed on trawled fish, with even more waste).

M

MarkTheSpark

Sorry, folks. My faul;t - should have been posted somewhere else, even if it is relevant to us all...

Maybe the moderator would be good enough to shift it to sea fishing or General

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Is there a review copy ?

Happy to read and write a review if there is, just can't afford to buy it for myself....

Sadly a book written too late and which won't be read by those who should most of all. I remember well the endless articles written in the likes of Salmon and Trout in the 1980's warning about the fish depletion of the seas through trawling practices and the hoots of derision from the trawlermen at the possibility of such a thing happening.

Hoots of derision that have long since fallen silent. Sadly now the ports they sought to keep open to service their over-fishing quotas have equally fallen silent. And their own damned fault this time, not the politicians. The politicians bowed to the pressure and the fishermen outfished themselves, no-one else.

Mind you, they have a lot to answer for as well, what with indiscriminate abandonment of any real fisheries protection in favour of EU membership and scandalous strip mining of the water by the Spanish and French fleets that then moved in.

I also remember the hoo ha about seal clubbing.....

What no-one ever gets around to pointing out is that three years after the ban was introduced the Newfoundland and other governments in the area had to introduce culling, as the huge increase in seal numbers damn near wiped out the fish stocks.

Leading to seal starvation. Now there's a thing.

Only the big grey scabby grown up ones starving to death were no-where near as sweet as the cuddly furry white little ones with big brown eyes and that mournful expression that drew in huge financial contributions from little old ladies everywhere. Try raising funds to save the great horned newt instead - Not !

The road to hell is certainly paved with good intentions, with a good dollop of sanctimonious sentimentality on top of that....