Abbotsbury next week

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking my eldset fishing at Abbotsbury one evening next week.

Cananyone tell me how the fishing is at the moment, and what baits / tactics to use?

thanks

charles halliday

Reaction score
Fished chesil last week at Ferrybridge (nr portland) - not abbotsbury. Best time was early flood (water ripped through the fastest). Watch out for snap offs from chicken fluff chuckers! Predominant species are black bream, red gurnard and the occassional red mullet. Doggies and occassional bass in the night. I had 5 triggers and one bream, but triggers shoal up in localised spots (top secret!). Mackeral around every evening on high tides. Bream and mullet require size 6 hooks - one up, one down rig. I used wire worm hooks with very small strips of squid, but I lost a sizeable trigger that chewed the hook up. A stronger size 6 (long shank barbel hook) would have been better.

charles halliday

Reaction score
continued.....

If you choose wire hooks, check they remain sharp after catching. Use 30lb amnesia snoods for the same reasons. 5oz grip leads were needed to hold the bottom even though the sea looked completely flat. Not so important if the fish are feeding close in, but the triggers were 100yrd + out. Not important for the other species. There are more bass showing, but you probably won't catch them unless you're prepared to fish between 3am and 6am on high tide and when there is a bit more movement/surf in the water - BIG HOOKS.

Dogfish are starting to switch on again and if they're in, they arrive in their masses - so switch from squid to chunks of mackeral on a size 2. Tight lines and let us know how you get on. Do you live down that way?