fishing on a weedy lake

Steve Doyle 3

Reaction score
hi ive just joined a new lake but the weed is very thick in places what would be the best way to to have my rods set up (level with the water or up in the air) all help is very welcomed thanks

Julian Barber

Reaction score
Whats on the business end is gonna be a lot more important than how your rods are positioned on the bank. Rods pointed skywards tends to be to overcome bad marginal weed (or to make a fashion statements /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif), rather than weed where your rig is.

Choose a rig that suits the weedy conditions if you intend to fish in amongst it. You say its weedy in places but dont say if you are going to try to find clear spots or are happy to put your rig right in amongst it.

TBH I dont think rod poitioning is going to play an important factor. Locating the fish and being able to place a bait to them effectively in the weed is.

B

Big Rik

Unless the weed is floating and then you may want to either get your rods above it or sink them way below it.

Steve Doyle 3

Reaction score
thanks gezzers for the info yes im looking for clear spots and making a few of my own

B

Big Rik

if there are loads of 'nuisance' fish, then cart in loads of small particles and pellets as they'll rip the weed to shreds to get at it and clear some good spots for you

Steve Doyle 3

Reaction score
yes thats what i was goig to do then slowly add my hook bait to draw the fat carp to my spots

B

Big Rik

sounds like a plan.

Vitalin balls also help if you need to get it out any distance, they'll hold their own weight in particles and will give a decent carpet spread.

steveo

Reaction score
like mr barber says,rod positioning is not high on the list of priorities when fishing in weed.the main things are,a rig and bait thats gonna work in the weed,tackle that is up to the job of landing a fish in the weed,a solid buzzer set up is a must if you are fishing locked up tight to a weedbed although i would try to lure the carp away from the weed a bit so you dont have to pull there heads off if you get a take(ever seen the ruined mouths of the horseshoe carp?),also what kind of weed is in the lake?..blanket,canadian,fennel grass,mares tail,starwort etc