Sun protection!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As we all look forward to the spring/summer I was wondering if we really do take the changing climate seriously and do we take the right precautions when sat out in the sunshine?
A friend of my dads used to fish nearly everyday in the summer and never wore anything to shade his face/head, he ended up with a tumour on his face which grew really big in about 4 weeks! After he had it removed it left the most awfull scare and 3 months later he took his own life at the age of 59.
Sorry to sound morbid but this has really made me and other people that knew Dave sit up and take notice. I used to wear baseball caps when fishing but have now invested in a tilley hat,
I may look like Indiana Jones in it and they are rather expensive for a hat but it gives me total protection all round my head, I also keep my arms covered (I have never been one for getting a tan anyway) and use a high factor sun cream on all exposed areas
What do you lot do?
Take Care

Mark

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
Same here .got it on my hands, lower arms and on my forehead so hat and wharpfactor 50 for me as well at least twice a day when I am out even though its Ireland ,very painful if I forget as well

barbelboi

Reaction score
Same here .got it on my hands, lower arms and on my forehead so hat and wharpfactor 50 for me as well at least twice a day when I am out even though its Ireland ,very painful if I forget as well

Doesn't the rain wash it off:confused:;)

I use f 30 and a baseball cap or booney hat depending upon conditions.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to say is that the good old baseball cab does not protect the back of the neck!

Mark

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I use a brolly more in a "good" summer than in winter. And a big floppy hat, suncream, and lng sleeves/legs.
Don't forget radiation is reflected from water, so you can cop a fair bit even sitting in the shade.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I too had a 'melanoma' removed from my face, left a 3inch scar, luckily I 'lose' it when I smile or laugh, which is most of the time. Factor 50, arms, head, (there's not much hair there), face, neck, ears. The sun NEVER see's any other part of my body, Also take 3 vitamin D3 tablets a day.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
it's pretty scary reading some of this, I admit to being one of the daft ones although not as daft as the lily white skinned tourists I see each day laying out under a blazing sun.
Some are more lucky than others I suppose and we each have to know our own limits.
I'm lucky in some respects, but fully appreciate what has been said.

maceo

Reaction score
Yes, it's something I need to think about for the early season later in the year.

I don't wear any hat generally (except a wooly one in the depths of winter) and I got the old red neck a couple of times last year from sessions.

terry m

Reaction score
This is a serious issue, ignore at your peril.

I have a bush hat made from Kangaroo Leather that folds up when not needed but gives all round protection. A basball cap will do little apart from shield your eyes.

We should take a leaf out of the Aussies book here, they have learnt the hard way and theytreat this issue with the full consideration that it deserves.

little oik

Reaction score
They reckon that the people most at risk are the ones that do not venture out in the sun that often but then seem to abuse the situation when they do . I too have spent time down under and also not to much time being a desk Warrior However I still do not take a chance .The Vitiligo is a sort of blessing in disguise as it means that I have no option but to do the slip slap slop in the summer months because even if its not sunny the backs of my hands can still get a beating (good for visiting pubs as differcult using your pockets if they get burnt lol)

dezza

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to say is that the good old baseball cab does not protect the back of the neck!

Well grow your hair!

Or get a wide brimmed bush hat like mine.

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 ----------

I have a South African bush hat made from Wildebeest leather. The beauty of this hat is that is soaks up water. When you wear it the water evaporates creating a refrigeration effect which keeps your head cool.

And don't forget the factor 50, especially if you are going to tropical climes

mol

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being stupid.

I'm prone to burning and don't really tan apart from my arm and face, as a result I'm not too keen on the sun and have an inbuild desire to avoid it as much as possible. I'm lucky in that I can choose when I fish, so I most often fish dawn and dusk and avoid the worst of the sun that way. I rarely bother with sun cream as I don't feel it's necessary and maybe after reading this thread I should?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Some years ago while on a customer's premises I got into a conversation with an Australian who had emigrated to England. His son was diagnosed with vitiligo so he moved here to avoid the dangers associated with the extreme heat and exposure to the sun in his homeland. He took it very seriously.

Chevin

Reaction score
I have severe psoriasis so I need a lot of sun. Fortunately I live where we get a lot of sun - an average of eight hours per day of it through out the year. I am fortunate, I rarely burn and being as my block (over a quarter of an acre) is well shielded from any of the neighbours, I can strip off and lay in the sun as long for as I can stand the heat.

dezza

Reaction score
I don't wear any hat generally (except a wooly one in the depths of winter) and I got the old red neck a couple of times last year from sessions.

You wouldn't survive in Oz or SA. - you would be another hospital case.

Talk about mad dogs and Poms!

---------- Post added at 03:37 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

What gets me are the Poms you see in Oz with shaved heads in the sun. They are risking something very nasty.

We were born to grow hair on our heads, lets grow it for goodness sake.

Chevin

Reaction score
We were born to grow hair on our heads, lets grow it for goodness sake.

I wish mine would. :) While I sometimes wear a slouch hat, most of the time I wear a baseball cap. The sun is so bright and the sky a cobalt blue here, your eyes soon begin to hurt if they are unshaded even if you are wearing sunglasses. What is even worse than a clear day is when there are some white clouds about. The contrast really is blinding.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I always wear long sleeves and full length trousers
Be sure that with trousers at least, theyre sunproof. Try CragHoppers, light to wear and sun proof.

AND always wear sunglasses, polarised if you like them for fishing. Amber lenses are best as they stop most of the blue light that causes AMD (Age-related Macula Degeneration) and can cuase blindness in later life. Can stop pinqueculas forming also.