After the Chris Yates Rod

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
was on ebay for £1470 how much have you spent on a rod?
The most I've spent on one rod was £90 - I'm not tackle tart and I've rods ranging from £25 to £90 but my average spend it about £60 on a rod
what's your spend on a rod?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Up until Christmas I had spent between £10 & £55 on rods, finally bit the bullet and spent £155 on the Drennon Floatmaster, (SWMBO ended up buying it as part of my Xmas present) yet to catch anything of any consequence with it to see whether it's worth the extra money :wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about modern rods, then; my Carbotec's (No 3 FAST Float and Feeder rods) were just shy of GBP 400 a piece, and my Daiwa Stick float rod was around GBP 350.

I paid GBP 650.00 for my Barder Merlin but that was a good few years ago.

My MkIV Avon rod cost me GBP 150.00 and another GBP 200.00 for the full refurbishment, and about the same, or a tad more, for my Wallis Super Wizard.

All of my rods are used for their intended purposes, except one or two that are kept simply for the pleasure of owning them, my Linsley Perfection Carp for one . . . . .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most I have spent on a rod was £500 on my SAGE 9FT XP and apart from the pride of ownership it did NOT make me a better angler! I got to the stage were I would not use it at such places as ladybower as I was scared of scratching it!
The most I have spent on a course rod is £200 on my PRESTON EXCEL 17FT but I don,t regret buying it one bit as it is THE best rod I have ever handled!

Mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PJ

Do you have any Walker rods or tackle?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have two of the great man's Keepnets complete with provenance from Pat Walker and a rather heavy stalking rod built on one of **** Walker's blanks.

Both were bought from proper auctions (not flea-bay) some time ago and I keep them as a piece of fishing history.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I spent £120 on a new rod last year, but the rod was RRP'd at £180, I just negotiated. I would only have spent £120 anyway on a Preston C Class rod, but Andy Nellist was raving about how good the Preston Excel was, so that's what I bought.

However, I also have a float rod of Daiwa's that cost £25 off ebay and that is a damned good rod. I set it up as a second rod, but it works fine. There's no shame if you own one of those, I just thought that at my age, the last rod I ever give up will be a float rod and bought the Preston Excel to last me until I drop.

I also spent £150 on a Harrison, but again, worth it if only for the barbel I've had on it. Most others cost much less than £100, sometimes bargains with an RRP of more than a hundred, but I'm careful and only spend what I need to spend. Quality tackle needn't cost that much.

murv

Reaction score
I know I'm getting on a bit now but it seems to me that modern rods in the £50-70.00 region are more than good enough quality, for me, anyway (general quiver or float rods) especially compared to relative tackle prices a few Years back.
I think my dearest coarse rod was about £60.00 or so.

I spend a little more on beachcasters as they have such a tough job to do. My current Zziplex pro-am match cost me £150.00 2nd hand although a new replacement (HSM) is over £400.00!

mol

Reaction score
I've got a set of carp rods that where £150 each but that's going back maybe 7 seasons?

Last season I bought a Drennan matchpro medium feeder and a matchpro float, they where around £130ish each.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Some scary numbers in this thread :eek:

I paid £30 for my second-hand Daiwa Harrier X and I love it, not sure how much they cost when new. Probably paid a similar amount for my first glass rod back in the 80s, can`t remember the exact amount though.

For those of you who`ve paid £200+ for a rod, are they really significantly better than rods in the £70-£120 range?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you who`ve paid £200+ for a rod, are they really significantly better than rods in the £70-£120 range?

I would say definitely, yes.

Pick up a Carbotec and use it and catch with it for an hour or so and you'll be convinced too.

If you think about it, I reckon rods are cheaper now (across the board) than they were 50 years ago.

Compare at £7-12/6d for a MkIV Avon rod 50 years ago to the then average weekly wage to a modern rod today for around £70-100 to today's weekly average wage . . . . . .

see what I mean?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter

Excel or C Series Rods from Preston - which do you recomend?

I know that Andy raves about the Excel, but I've never used one.

I bought the 'C' Series rods last year after a long chat with GM, and a very frustrasting session at Woodlands where less than 50% of my bites were landed, if that were increased to just 75% it would have put me in the frame too . . . . . dammitittt!!!!!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I would say definitely, yes.

Pick up a Carbotec and use it and catch with it for an hour or so and you'll be convinced too.

Ok :) Doubt I`ll get the chance but it would be interesting to try.

If you think about it, I reckon rods are cheaper now (across the board) than they were 50 years ago.

Compare at £7-12/6d for a MkIV Avon rod 50 years ago to the then average weekly wage to a modern rod today for around £70-100 to today's weekly average wage . . . . . .

see what I mean?

A very quick search on t`internet and I`ve found an article that has the average weekly wage in 1966 as £23.47. I take it the MkIV Avon was a top quality rod ?(forgive my ignorance I wasn`t around at that time) So it cost about 30% of a weeks wage. The ave. wage today is £500 a week (yeah right :rolleyes: ) so the equivalent amount is £150. Does that buy a comparable rod?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I know that Andy raves about the Excel, but I've never used one.

I bought the 'C' Series rods last year after a long chat with GM, and a very frustrasting session at Woodlands where less than 50% of my bites were landed, if that were increased to just 75% it would have put me in the frame too . . . . . dammitittt!!!!!

reading Climax tackle the C series is more for bigger fish - the excel has a hollow tip and more suited to silver fish