Most you've spent on a packet of hooks

Reaction score
What's the most you've spent on a packet of 10 hooks?

Around £3.50 for 10 ESP Raptors.

At the other end of the scale 50 off Fulling Mill Heavy Duty Grub Hooks around £3.50 (pretty much the same as a Mugga swept bend)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What's the most you've spent on a packet of 10 hooks?

Around £3.50 for 10 ESP Raptors.

At the other end of the scale 50 off Fulling Mill Heavy Duty Grub Hooks around £3.50 (pretty much the same as a Mugga swept bend)

great thread mate:D

about £3.5 for size 8 carp hooks or maybe Drennan super strong barbel hooks

i'll dig my recipes out and check

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
how do you spell those bill things then receipts?
Just an aside, but...... Recipes (that is instructions for cooking) can also be known as 'receipts'. But receipts are not known as recipes. I often refer to my prescription as a receipt and I think that is correct as well.

Oh, and on hooks - about £3.50 for ten Korda or Talon. Bought a box of trebles for £6 but there was 50 in it, good quality though.

Last edited:

samcoles

Reaction score
Blimey, carp hooks (ESP/Korda/Fox) are about £4.25 a pack in my local tackle shop!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I bet Peter James has soem hand made hooks that are custom made in a shed in Derbyshire from silver that cost £120 each and he orders them in boxes of 100

Also he'll have a few vintage hooks he keeps in a display case that he made £700 for back in 1986:D

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Expensive fish hook joke:

A young Aussie lad moved to London and went to Harrods looking for a job. The manager asked, "Do you have any sales experience?"

The young man answered, "Yeah, I was a salesman back home."

The manager liked the Aussie so he gave him the job. His first day on the job was challenging and busy, but he got through it.

After the store was locked up, the manager came down and asked "OK, so how many sales did you make today?"

The Aussie said "One."

The manager groaned and continued "Just one? Our sales people average 20 or 30 sales a day. How much was the sale for?"

"£101,237.64" The Aussie replied.

The manager choked and exclaimed £101 237.64? What the hell did you sell him?"

"Well, first I sold him a small fish hook, then a medium fish hook, and then, I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down at the coast, so I told him he would need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him that twin-engined Power Cat. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to car sales and I sold him the 4 x 4 Suzuki".

The manager, incredulous, said "You mean to tell me....a guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and 4x4?".

"No no no......he came in here to buy a box of tampons for his wife and I said........."Well, since your weekend's fuxxked, you might as well go fishing!"" :D

terry m

Reaction score
£5.19 for 10 Korda Kaptors just last week!

I think that £4.50 of the price is for the snazzy box and the little green thingamejigs to cover the points. The rest is to keep Mr Fairbrass in the style to which he has become accustomed.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Owner SSW Black Chrome finish size 8/0 , 3 in a pack for £3.50 , which makes it around £ 11.60 for 10........

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh yes, the Big Game, Goliath and Mahseer hook scene ... know it only too well.

cg74

Reaction score
I think that £4.50 of the price is for the snazzy box and the little green thingamejigs to cover the points. The rest is to keep Mr Fairbrass in the style to which he has become accustomed.

Indeed, if after the same pattern in smaller sizes for tench or barbel, here's an equally well made hook: Kamasan Fly Tying Hook B110 Grub

I've never hidden (quite the opposite) the fact that it annoys the hell out of me, how Danny Fairbrass has lead a market into paying stupid prices for hooks that are just copies of old preexisting designs, but then the other tackle manufacturers have happily jumped on his success and inflated their prices accordingly.

£3.85 is the most I've paid for a packet of hooks; Korda Wide Gapes.... But never again. There are endless cheaper options out there if anglers can be bothered to look and experiment.
Here's another option: Carp and Specimen Hooks

murv

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations :)

To be honest, I don't usually fall for the hype with hooks. I bought these as they were specifically recommended for a particular application I was struggling with so thought I'd give 'em a go.
Apparently they're in the case to protect the points (although they're capped anyway) to maintain their sharpness.

I've got to be honest, I'm a little skeptical, but now I have them I'm going to try them out and see how they compare to my "standard" patterns.

If they make a significant difference then fair enough, if not I'll go back to a slightly less eye-wateringly expensive brand!
They were recommended to me by someone who has a string of huge chub captures so I'm willing to try them out.

So far, in using them, the river has been very quiet but the only bite I've had in the last two trips very nearly pulled the rod into the river (luckily my mate grabbed it as it sailed past his ear) and resulted in a very nice Chub :)
I probably would've hooked the thing on just about any pattern but there's no doubt that viciously sharp point will hook up very easily.
Maybe I just need to stop bring lazy and learn how to really sharpen a standard pattern though...

Don't know who I'm trying to convince here... but, as pointed out to me, 50p/hook is a small price to pay if it really makes a difference

dnahacker

Reaction score
£34 for 6 antique eyeless (blind tapered) 6/0 salmon irons

Last edited: