Preston Excel or C series

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Seriously? I can't say what the difference is as I never tried out the C Class. The C was around £120 retail and the Excel around £180. I waggled Andy's Excel rod around at Clattercote and thought that if I could get one for around £130 I'd have that, got it for £120 so very happy. The C will probably be great though as are most Preston and Korum rods - so far.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that for commercial carp-bashing then the 'C' Series is perfect with its soft-ish action.

I bought the feeder and the equivalent pellet waggler rods from Preston last year after a frustrating match at Woodlands where I lost more fish than I landed due to not having the right 'tool for the job'

I really canot comment on the Preston Excel other than Andy raves about it, so it must be a darned good rod.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Dam

just been on the Preston web site and there is a Absolute rods out now

still 6 months to go so plenty of time to decide

Trouble is I like Drennan rods and they are half price of the Preston

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trouble is I like Drennan rods and they are half price of the Preston

I used to use Drennan Feeder rods, light, medium and heavy depending on the venue and flow back in the 90's in matches, and thee were the first rods out of the holdall.
Those rods were very, very good, and I still have my IM8 Bomb rod today and it too is excellent for its purpose.

I also have a couple of the Drennan Waggler rods and the Carp Feeder and the Long Distance Waggler rods from the same era, all very good rods, and far better than today's equivalents.

The trouble with today's Drennan rods, in my opinion, is that they have lost that quality that they had 20 years ago.

Whether or not the lost of quality coincided with Peter Drennan going off to live in Mauritius or not I wouldn't comment on to be honest.

Reaction score
50th Birthday!

The following should be on your list:

1. Hair dye.
2. Sterrident.
3. Breath Freshener
4. Knee Support
5. Hernia Briefs
6. Varifocals
7. A threesome

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
50th Birthday!

The following should be on your list:

1. Hair dye.
2. Sterrident.
3. Breath Freshener
4. Knee Support
5. Hernia Briefs
6. Varifocals
7. A threesome

1 going grey at the temples - looks distinguished
2 not yet
3 for years given my beer intake
4 for years after palying rugby
5 ditto above
6 for years now
7 in my dreams (3 some will be me and 2 ladies not to include the wife)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
HI Paul if you can, go for the Excel. I have the 13 14 an 17ft float rods and they are the dogs nuts, better carbon than the C Series and a little lighter too. Have a look in Billy Clarkes he has the full range. Shouldn't bother with the new series of rods they are a lot more expensive for not a lot more rod!

Mark

PS: If you really want to try a threesome for your 50th just get yourself down to LeChambre one Friday night, I am sure you will find what you are looking for...Wink, Wink!!

A

alan whittington

Back to your original question.

What would the Barbel Society recommend?

Not to quote the BS,rumour has it(unless your complimentary;)).On to your to do list,buy a big box of blue pills(for your threesome;);)).

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

HI Paul if you can, go for the Excel. I have the 13 14 an 17ft float rods and they are the dogs nuts, better carbon than the C Series and a little lighter too. Have a look in Billy Clarkes he has the full range. Shouldn't bother with the new series of rods they are a lot more expensive for not a lot more rod!

Mark

PS: If you really want to try a threesome for your 50th just get yourself down to LeChambre one Friday night, I am sure you will find what you are looking for...Wink, Wink!!

Mark,i know im going to offend some,but whats it like playing double figure fish on lines at the top end of the rods range,im thinking of the chance of barbel on it,with chub around 6ish,a rod of this sort is required,as it eases hook pulls,at the moment im using a normark specimen match,which can be too powerful in certain swims.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not to quote the BS,rumour has it(unless your complimentary;)).On to your to do list,buy a big box of blue pills(for your threesome;);)).

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Mark,i know im going to offend some,but whats it like playing double figure fish on lines at the top end of the rods range,im thinking of the chance of barbel on it,with chub around 6ish,a rod of this sort is required,as it eases hook pulls,at the moment im using a normark specimen match,which can be too powerful in certain swims.

Alan, the 13 and 14 ft will take up to 6lb BS and the 17ft (my favourite rod ever!) takes up to 8lb BS.

Mark

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Excel would seem to be the better rod then?

I'll need to have a look and good waggle of them i nthe shop

A few months to go yet to my 50th so I may change my mind and end up with a Drennan - but at the moment the Prerston rods look the best rod for the money I want to spend

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Excel would seem to be the better rod then?

I'll need to have a look and good waggle of them i nthe shop

A few months to go yet to my 50th so I may change my mind and end up with a Drennan - but at the moment the Prerston rods look the best rod for the money I want to spend

Paul, you are better off with the Preston Excel range than the Drennan, trust me mate, yes, I am single (well not married!) mortgage free, no kids etc and I can afford to spend a little more if and when I want (not meaning to patronise chaps) but once you have held one of these rods in your hand you will see why folk rave about them...simply sublime, oh, and they look stunning too! WAIT TILL YOU BEND IN TO A 4LB CHUB...WHOOOOO!!

Mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dam you Mark

so Excel it is

Now only one problem left

Her Ladyship

a Excell £125 preston reel £120 - well it will be my 50ith - either that or 3some:D

A threesome at LaChambre will knock you back £75, that includes £25 membership, £25 entry and £25 for the drinks so the rod and reel combo is just going to cost you a little bit more and I think her Ladyship would prefer the later!!!
Oh, by the way, I have never been to, or intend to go to said club, I just know a very nice nurse that seems knows a bit about it!!

Mark