From sea to coarse

wolfyinkd

Reaction score
Hey, i'm Wolfy originally from Bolton but new to the Cornwall area and the coarse fishing scene. I have sea fished for quite a while now and thought i should broaden my horizons :) one of my very good friends has coarse fished for years, since high school, and he pulls up some monsters! I wondered if any lovely anglers out there could offer me any advice whatsoever on what tends to work best round here, inparticular i'm 5 minutes from Argal reservoir and can't wait to get on the water what baits work best? and what tackle is needed? Cheers guys :eek:

wolfyinkd

Reaction score
awesome thanks dangermouse shall have a nosey :D
also tbh i have no idea if i catch, i'll be one happy lady, any fish will do ;] what would you suggest?

Last edited:

wolfyinkd

Reaction score
cheers loads of friendly people on here also @dangermouse after reading that thread i realised its mostly carp and pike anyone got any good tips on catchin' 'em? ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Wolfy, You're a bit far west of my stomping grounds for me. Why not have a walk around before you fish, you'll pick up a lot by keeping your eyes open.
Jerry

dangermouse

Reaction score
awesome thanks dangermouse shall have a nosey :D
also tbh i have no idea if i catch, i'll be one happy lady, any fish will do ;] what would you suggest?

Well if you`re not after anything in particular you could probably get away with a float rod, reel, a few floats - wagglers, hooks and shot. Afraid I`m not the man to ask about specific brands and that will depend on your budget anyway.

For carp it depends which way you want to go and how big the fish you`ll be targeting are. I use a match rod and a feeder rod on my local lake and they can handle double figure fish, not sure I`d want to try and land a 30lb`er on them though. If it`s a reservoir I`m guessing you might have to cast a fair distance in which case you might be better off with a carp rod.

It might be worth posting a seperate thread in the beginners section with a title that asks for advice.
(Put lady angler in the title and I guarantee responses :rolleyes: :D ;) )

Last edited:

wolfyinkd

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Wolfy, You're a bit far west of my stomping grounds for me. Why not have a walk around before you fish, you'll pick up a lot by keeping your eyes open.
Jerry

deffo, thanks jerry gonna be going down this weekend and having a lookie :) and cheers neil any help off anyone is appreciated i imagine its a bit different than picking up mackerel 4 at a time off a boat :cool:

dangermouse

Reaction score
and cheers neil any help off anyone is appreciated i imagine its a bit different than picking up mackerel 4 at a time off a boat :cool:

Yw :) always glad to help although I`m the first to admit I`m a relative novice to fishing and there are people on here with far, far more knowledge than myself. But yeah definitely different to mackerel fishing :D

Edited my last post so you might want to go and take a look.

wolfyinkd

Reaction score
For carp it depends which way you want to go and how big the fish you`ll be targeting are. I use a match rod and a feeder rod on my local lake and they can handle double figure fish, not sure I`d want to try and land a 30lb`er on them though. If it`s a reservoir I`m guessing you might have to cast a fair distance in which case you might be better off with a carp rod.

It might be worth posting a seperate thread in the beginners section with a title that asks for advice.
(Put lady angler in the title and I guarantee responses :rolleyes: :D ;) )

well as i said before i'm a complete n00b atm, i have a shakespeare rod, its telescopic but its a big 'un 2.70m and it can hold a fish maybe not 20lber's haha but hopefully i'll pull summin' up hopefully not a boot, and as for saying i'm a lady that maybe true but i am not the most ladylike person :D

dangermouse

Reaction score
well as i said before i'm a complete n00b atm, i have a shakespeare rod, its telescopic but its a big 'un 2.70m and it can hold a fish maybe not 20lber's haha but hopefully i'll pull summin' up hopefully not a boot, and as for saying i'm a lady that maybe true but i am not the most ladylike person :D

You might as well give it a try with the rod you have, not worth spending too much just in case you don`t like it. Buy yourself a fixed spool reel - Shimano or Daiwa always get good reviews if your budget allows for it, if not there are plenty of cheaper reels out there. Then you just need a few floats, hooks and split-shot, a disgorger and a landing net and you`re good to go. Hit your mate up for some advice if you can.

As for baits you can`t really go wrong with maggots and worms.