tackling new stretches

darren rosie

Reaction score
Having just got membership for a new club ill be looking to start fishing the stretches available at the start of the new season. Ive got my own ideas on how to tackle it but want to know how you all go about tackling a new venue.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If your new club have a match calendar which includes dates on their venues, go along and watch how they do it, or even better join in.....

richiekelly

Reaction score
I love to fish new rivers/stretches, spend time on the bank looking and i mean a lot of time, it is never wasted.

The bad one

Reaction score
Take what you've learned on other rivers and scale it up or scale it down to the new rivers. Barbel in all rivers inhabit much the same places. It's just the scale that changes.

Keith M

Reaction score
Take what you've learned on other rivers and scale it up or scale it down to the new rivers. Barbel in all rivers inhabit much the same places. It's just the scale that changes.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The only thing that would add to this is that if it was a clear stream I would spend a lot of time observing the fish in front of me and how they react to different things (both above and in the water) and I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get my hookbait out at first.

But basically I would fish it like I would in any other Barbel river or stream; just scaling my tackle to suit.