Bait from the Vegetable and Fruit Counter

little oik

Reaction score
Has anybody tried these .I know years ago that a par boiled potato was used for carp and have tried blackberries for chub but has anybody tried anything else like carrot ,swede ,Apple and Pear to name a few . I realise certain types will float but could they be part of a critical balanced set up etc . It will be interesting to see if they do work and to see if anybody has tried them

What do you think?

dangermouse

Reaction score
I used par-boiled sweet potato last year and caught a carp and a tench with it.

My mate brought some olives round the other day and I was considering giving them a try, thought they`d be ideal to hair-rig.

little oik

Reaction score
I have been thinking of using Apple or Pear for carp as both sweet and a lot of bait companies do either flavourings baits or both .Condensed apple sauce as a glug maybe :D or even a cheap Pear schnapps as they reckon vodka soaked baits can get you bites :)

dangermouse

Reaction score
I did try pineapple whilst fishing the method but I only had a few casts with it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Elderberry is probably as close as I've ever got to using anything from a greengrocer as bait.

nicky

Reaction score
whilst on holiday last year i mixed a left over chicken korma with my sweetcorn it was made in the cottage we were staying at and was really rich and creamy.
I went to a pond and was catching on everything onions, green pepper, yellow pepper, mushrooms the onion in particular was brilliant.
It probably worked because it was the height of summer and highly stocked.

mol

Reaction score
I've caught on a chunk of banana whilst stalking carp.

Saying that I've seen a carp caught on a used ciggy filter, they'll eat almost anything at times.

caesarson

Reaction score
In my match days it was common to punch a potatoe and color using either food dye or left in gravy overnight to imitate a pellet. If you missed a bite you could drop the rig back in without shipping in all of the time.

I have seen some catching carp on a strawberry on tv one time.

redfin123

Reaction score
theres loads of items that will catch carp, strawberries, cherries, banana chunks, glased cherries, orange segments, the list is endless. I know a guy who has caught loads of carp on jelly babies, jelly tots, and chunks of jelly in all different flavours black currant a favourite. If you,ve got time to experiment try heinz baked beans, black eyed beans, maple peas, chick peas, they all will catch carp.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pomegranate seeds - trotting for grayling hooked in the fleshy part, their resemblance to a gamefish ova probably helps.
Jerry

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I suppose the yardstick is, that whatever crop that is grown, stands a chance of some entering a watercourse somewhere, and the fish eventually feeding on it.

Try whatever crop is growing at that time of year.

ronbc5

Reaction score
Try this for a bit of a laugh , as a experiment. I do like this bloke he always brings a smile..... he actually is very experienced with years behind him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRV96u146PI&feature=related]Carp Fishing on roast dinner bait - Series 1 - Episode 5 - YouTube[/ame]