Graphics

dalesman

Reaction score
Why do tackle companys produce rods and finish them with tacky graphics in dayglow lettering and other finishes such as a foot silver foil at the butt which can read buy the angler 3 or 4 down.

I for one get put off by a potential purchase, how many have also been put off.

samcoles

Reaction score
No taste.

My carp rods (and all other carp rods by ProLogic) have bloody Comic Sans on them!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some folks actually seem to like such things. It's no surprise that manufacturers like to make at least some of their gear as flashy and obvious as is possible. It's in their interests to be seen having their kit used.
I tend to find that the more you spend the less showy a product is likely to be. Naturally, there are exceptions, particularly where poles are concerned.
I won't generally buy the garish stuff. However, I suspect that depends on what your idea of garish is. What examples do you have in mind?

beerweasel

Reaction score
We anglers are generally a drab coloured bunch, some spending a fortune on realtree oak cammo everything.
So why do tackle companies insist on making shiny chrome reels some with gold
in the countersunk bits that are only to make look like McLaren built it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not at all concerned about the graphics on a rod or pole but more on how it performs

I tend to agree but there are limits. If something is utterly gipping it would have to be the absolute best and be cheaper than the rest too.

I know that it really makes no difference but I wouldn't want to wave this garish monstrosity about.

caesarson

Reaction score
You should check out the range of maver pole, the first 4 sections all have "MAVER" printed on them and the final 4 sections have a silly amount of graphics. Detailing what the pole is made from to the technology used and the model number of the pole :eek:mg:

It can only be for people looking on. Because if you are like me, I know what I have bought. Why do I need reminding every time I look at it

terry m

Reaction score
Pretty much all of my rods are in grey or black, many of them matt with understated graphics. I have a couple of JW avons in green, they are the exception.

I do not possess a pole, but I have to say that garish finishes would make me think twice before purchasing.

flightliner

Reaction score
If its only small and relatively unobtrusive I dont really mind, I have a couple of shimano Barbel classics that have a decal near the butts that change colour in differant lights. It has no detriment to the overall performance of the rod.
On poles tho, as someone has said, it seems they really go OTT with these, pretty much like reading all the info on a car tyre, much of it for the techno,s little for the user.If I liked the rod but not the logo,s, decal,s info its an easy task to just scrape it off with a razor blade.