The Wonder Years

ronbc5

Reaction score
What a great article Richard, I too grew up on a Estate in West Kent and can relate to all you have written perfectly especially going out with dad and learning the important things in nature rather than sitting at a desk( school was a true shock, never got used to it) although I did favour Jamboree Bags over sherbet fountains 3d in old money. Brilliant read well done....

barbelboi

Reaction score
A most enjoyable read Richard. I can well remember growing up in the 50's, fishing the rivers with my dad and while he was working fishing the local farm ponds for tiny crucians and little tincas - also the bomb craters with a worm tied to some line for greater crested newts. Yep, Jamboree bags for me too, together with sherbet lemons.
Jerry

4ngler

Reaction score
kevineric/barbelboi- I appreciate your kind words and I thank you both. There was something similar to jamboree bags around in my youth (early 70's) but I think that the jamboree bag was a little before my time unless of course that I have long since forgotten them. These things start happening at a certain age I understand! :confused: Glad you enjoyed the read. Richard

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Takes me back to the start of my fishing , jam jars and net, then on to a small pond, progressed to the chesterfield canal and finally the mighty Trent

Jamboree bags - Were they the bags with a sweets and a couple of cheap toys in them?

4ngler

Reaction score
Takes me back to the start of my fishing , jam jars and net, then on to a small pond, progressed to the chesterfield canal and finally the mighty Trent

Jamboree bags - Were they the bags with a sweets and a couple of cheap toys in them?

Indeed they were sir. One presumes you have procured a considerably larger jam jar and net to cope with the mighty Trent! :D