shelf life boilies

• Thread starter Paul (Brummie) Williams
  • Start date
P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Got my river carp head on at the moment, recently and in the past i have always steered clear of shelf life boilies and would always have advised others to do the same, but recently i have been thinking about the convienience and also the new ranges now available....most of the "in" baits do a Shelf life version.

Are they on a par with the frozen nowadays?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I have used both and not noticed the difference, the big against on shelf life is they take forever to breakdown in the water so some places do not like you using them. But on a river I cannot see that being a problem.

Give it a go and see how you do.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I did Mith.......frozen up to 30lb+(river fish) shelf......sweet FA................but i'm talking about a damn good frozen bait ( they do a shelf life,minus the eggs, i am told thats the only difference?).........also the frozen ( 2 types)caught from the off.

But i have been fishing to long to draw conclusions and really want to hear views on shelf life v frozen...............when i'm up the caravan i have dificultys keeping frozen, the kids won't eat the food if my bait has been near it /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif............but i have to decide if the ultimate "convience" bait is the good old pellet or if shelfies are an option?

Kids may have to go hungry!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Shelf life, is where they belong,,,, On the shelf for life, unless somebody has come up with a natural preservative that stops working as soon as the things hit water?

Frozens are brill,,,,,Ritchworths Tuttie Fruities can't all be wrong can they?

If in doubt use the Tutties and i bet the kids would eat em as well.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Just been reading an article about SBS baits, here is a quote from their blurb, biased I presume as they sell both types of boilie but their comment is :-

"In truth, there’s virtually no
difference between freezer baits and
shelf-life ones, but some anglers prefer
that extra freshness those straight
from the freezer give. Technically,
freezer baits are made with fresh eggs
and, once defrosted, last for only a few
days, whereas shelf-life boilies contain
egg preservative and last more than
six months."

I will give you a field trial result soon as I have both freezer, shelflife and homemade boilies to take on my next trip out, although I have been having some sucess with pellets recently.

Mike

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

They are one of my all time favs Murray, along with a couple of others.........going to try another a mutual fiend /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifhas recommended.........i don't feel at all as i should when using shelfies, and if you don't feel right you don't fish right.

Still interested in opinions on shelfies tho.

Mike......they are going to say that tho......they know that a lot of anglers like the ease of shelf lifes and want to sell them, you are right field testing is the only way.

MikeW

Reaction score
Although frozens are the best IMO, dynamite baits spicy shrimp and prawn are very good for a shelf life, they catch fish nearly every where I've been. Keep some glugged in a pot of the same flavour for hook baits - good stuff./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

The only shelf life I have ever really liked is the new DB fresh fish jobs.

Never failed on them,they have a strange,buttery aroma,and a nice "crunch" when you put a baiting needle through.

Fresh baits for me everytime though,but if I did use a shelfie,the above would be it.(till it blows)/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Bob.......they are the ones i have been blanking on, lol.................just goes to show how we can have vastly different results eh mate?

Still going to give them a fair crack of the whip alongside one of my long time favs that has worked for 20+ yrs..........at least untill the golden (clue!) oldie outscores it /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

It is weird.

Ive never used anything below the 20ml and have have never blanked on them.On the basis of this ive just blended a kilo to use as a bed of chops for my next session(s) so it will be interesting to see their true appeal.

C

Cakey

hopeyouve got your carp head on for a bit longer Paul

by the way frozen and I chuck them in me pellets ifIm more than 3 days fishing without a freezer

steveo

Reaction score
is that the paul williams who used to fish broadlands and drink tennants super??well ready mades debate,richworth tutties are always worth having somewhere,nowadays shelf lifes are alot better,ive had good fishing on dynamites shrimp and prawn,and have caught on nutrabaits cranberry/sweet cajousers.dynamite baits are a spin off from bpc a company that makes trout pellets and which has been making food in the aquaculture industryso they shuld know what they r on about,nutrabaits were one of the first bait companiesso they are worth a try.i caught my p.b. and then lake record and very tricky fishon a 20mm shrimp/prawn and this is on a water that see's hundreds of kilos of freshly rolled bait every season!!Food for thought,they are just another peace of the infinate jigsaw of carping plus they cost too much anyway,and there is a little gem of a bait that can be bought from most supermarkets that ive caught loads of carp on and i always have a bit in my bag

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Hi Steveo....no never fished Broadlands mate, and i only drink real ale, or real cider, or real wine or real.......at least i don't think it was me!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Thanks for the imfo mate.....i am hoping shelf lifes are getting better and i didn't know about Dynamite being a spin off of bpc......nice to know that.

Wooly

Reaction score
To group baits bythe descriptions frozen or ready made is foolhardy in the extreme. If you freeze dog shit it is still dog shit when it thaws out and you use it.Similarly there are ready mades and ready mades. Some are cheap, nothing more than a carrier for flavours and enhacers. Some of these are expensive, but still made with cheap ingredients, you simply pay for the name.

I have great faith in Mistral baits top of the range ready mades, they are not cheap and they are not made with cheapingredients. Baits such as Rosehip Isotonic, No Name and Remedy to name but a few. These have caughtsuperbly well for me in the UKand France.I would advise anyone to try them.

Now I suppose I sit back and wait for the insults.......

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Have you ever tried frozen or shelf life dog shit Wooly?

And...how do you know the baits you like ain't made with cheap ingriedients?.........both the baits i am talking about are "ready mades"......ain't got a prob with that at all, my worry(hope) is if manufacturers have moved away from preservatives in shelf lifes that may give the bait a whole new (bitter/repulsive)perspective to the fish?

Unlike some i do not take the hyp as fact, hence the original question.......i hope shelf lifes are/do improve but if someone rollls and markets dog shit as a shelfie i bet someone would buy it!................so long as itwas expensive to source the right type?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

steveo

Reaction score
jesus evryones getting a bit hyped about the boilees.well carp fishin is growing fast and bait firms have had to up the benchmark in the quality of their readymades.for the all to common just add water instant carpanglers that infest the fisheries,(no offence,there was just a lot more fun/mystery and experimentation a while back before everything was done for you)then the average readymade will catch you a few carp and will be adequate for you needs,a good quality bait will/should catch you more carp and any bait if applied with a bit of thought will catch a fair amount of fish.there is no super boilie,readymades and freezer will all catch on their day,so will many other baits,they are all strings to your bow

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

Going back to the DB Fresh fish boilies,I wonder how much preservative has gone into them in order for them to remain fresh for so long,bearing in mind they claim to contain no egg at all,using fresh fish as a direct replacement.

In comparison to other shelfies I would say these are one the best ive ever seen,but i havnt compared it too the freezer version of the same model.

I saw an article recently in advanced carp fishing which talked about companies stating the ingredients to their products in depth on their packaging and i think most firms do,although DB seem to be an exception to this.

I for one like to know exactly what im putting in a water,thats why I dont use shelflifes.

As Steveo says I enjoy the fun/experimentation of using my own,and wallowing in the joy and being generally smug when I catch fish on it!

Wooly

Reaction score
Paul, the point I am trying to make is that the act of freezing a bait will not make it a better bait. If you make a soya flour and semolina boilie then freeze it, it will still be made with soya flour and semolina.

I am a regular user of Mistral baits and I am NOT sponsored, I pay for my bait. The reason I believe their baits to contain excellent ingredients is that I have spoken to the company owner Alan at length and I trust him, completely. His baits have never let me down. If you are looking to try a high quality ready made, then I suggest you talk to him. He wont bullshit you, he knows his stuff. He'll explain more on bait than I, or, I suspect 99.9% of the people on this site, ever could, especially a lot about preservatives.

Some of their baits are designed to be long term food baits, some others are designed to be more short term. For instance last year I fished a French water (Vaumigny) which requires quite a bit of bait. After talking to Alan we took his Euro boilies as money was tight for this trip, these he said were more of a short / medium term bait. Result ? 75 carp caught by 2 anglers, including 7 thirties. Some Dutch guys fishing the lake could not believe our results, they managed about 10 between them, they were convince we must have spent a huge amount of money. In facr we spent far less than them. These baits proved excellent for a weeks fishing, but we were advised that they would not be suitable for a long term campaign. I appreciate that sort of honesty. For longer campaigns I would use one of Mistrals long term baits. Some of these do not even contain preservatives at all.

Foxy

Reaction score
was always a long term freezer bait man, usually fusion or active8 but have been using dynamite tiger nut boilies lately and have done really well on them.

If you want to take your favourite to the lake, Keith Moors gave me a cracking tip. Just half fill a bucket full of palin white rice (about 8 packets should do it) and bury your freezers baits in there for about 5-6 days. Doesnt work very well with fusion as they tend to go a bit white but active8 work really well and last for ages