Angling Politics - There is no room for Complacency...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Martin gave a good introduction of himself (not that he needed it) and his position and ambitions within the Angling Trust at our regional meeting last night. Basically, we all need to think how we can engage the next 15,000 members, the ordinary joes on the bank, to join the Angling Trust and become more involved in what's going on locally, regionally and nationally.

We also need to show the public that we care, not just about fish, but about the true value of water. It's volume and it's purity and if we get those right then maybe the fish will be better off for it. We also need to preserve it more to protect us from droughts and stop the wanton waste each and every day, 1000 litres of water per individual per week was the figure Martin batted around.

This is a damned good article, more should read it and take note. If we screw this up and lose the ATr then we will have shot ourselves in the head, never mind the foot. The ATr had its problems at first and still has some to sort out, nothing is perfect, but it is getting better and more organised. We are now recognised by top ministers such as Richard Benyon that we are a force to be reckoned with and accountable to.

We will not be bullied around any more, anglers are here now to give their voice, make sure it is heard by joining the Angling Trust.

(rant over - but join)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I always wondered whether the title 'Angling Trust' could or should have been something aimed at the wider general public, 'River Trust' ' Waterways Trust' or whatever?

Non anglers would never join the angling trust in their numbers, something aimed a little bit wider might attract more non anglers though? Or is having something 'just' for anglers important, even though numbers are kak?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Very good point Eddie. Anglers are and always have been bloody useless at getting involved. I guess that's one reason why they take up angling, to get away from politics etc

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
'River Trust'
There are various river trusts set up already that anyone can join. I think we're right to be on our own, just a bunch of anglers. We need to let the public know that it's not just about fishing, we do care about the environment and more particularly, what is beneath the surface of the water. It's a world hardly anyone thinks about, so long as a river has a few ducks on top they think it's perfect whereas underneath it could be a dead world, v.v. the River Crane right now.

There's also The Thames Society. Yeh, much do they care about life beneath the surface and they don't allow angling from their land.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Jeff is right, any River Trust, or even the current 'Rivers Trusts' might and do have interests and even policies that work against anglers. Just one prominent member could influence the majority.
On the Wear Rivers Trust they had one such guy who was so anti coarse it was unbelievable. He has now gone an life is so much sweeter for all.

On the Tyne the Tyne Rivers Trust was very much in favour of a proposed hydro scheme on the weirs at Hexham.
Problem is many cover themselves with a thin Green coating, scratch that away and you'll probably see ££££ sings embossed on to their thick skins

As for anglers joining the ATr, not one of my own club committee (DCAC) is a member; just too much to pay after paying for everything else associated with 'fishing' they say. At best my lot pay £50, and several are free loaders.
They $loody disgust me and I said so!!

Will we get the same celebs attend the NE AT Forums though?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Will we get the same celebs attend the NE AT Forums though?

It's probably the cost of two sets of interpreters, John.

I had a girlfriend (whom I met in New Delhi, where else) years ago who was from the Hendon district of Sunderland. I had to give up after a year or two - Hindi and Urdu were easier to understand than her. My best mate is still with that gal's best friend (I introduced him to her when the two girls were staying at my place near Windsor 28 years ago). They have two lovely little girls (11 and 7) who speak perfect English, but, as he was telling me only a couple of hours ago, he still can't fully understand their mother.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I kind of agree to some extent Jethro/John, you've undoubtedly got more experience than me in these areas and I respect that however i would argue that a constitution could be set up in such a way to prevent the scenarios you mention.

All told I'd rather have those non anglers whom were passive or even ambivalent towards angling putting their membership money our way than towards a 'group that is openly (or secretly) hostile.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Paul, A few years ago I was talking to one of the technical guys from Panasonic who told me of the time he was sent over to Japan on a training course but almost everyone (Brits) were having problems understanding the broken English of the chap taking the lectures. After about two days they eventually found a Scottish guy who was over there on a 6 month secondment to take the course. The next day everyone asked for the local lad to come back.

Me, I'm as Yorkshire as Sir Geoffrey, so I'll understand no $ugger :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lost in translation...

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Rivers Trusts and the like, by the way, John - some of them, at least: my online dealings with some of their leading lights over the past decade was an eye-opener to me, a mix of multi-site internet hostility towards me on their part, followed some invitations to "join us" (a meeting, an annual dinner...) after I had keel-hauled them in public debate, then, when I very politely and graciously declined their invitations, back to balls-out, ever increasingly personal attack once again. Some of these guys (and I did an in-depth background check on a few of them after all the flak they sent my way without reason) are mere power-players and politicians who have greened up their act in order to attract funds, members and volunteers, at the very least flyfishers with a few bob in their pockets who want their rivers fixed for free. With friends like these, who.............

Last edited:

martinsalter

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Jeff... and Rod you need to know that the Angling Trust was one of the founding members of Thames Tunnel Now, the coalition committed to cleaning up the tidal Thames. Check out their website and you will find extensive quotes from Mark Lloyd.

Not sure who is 'Ed' of this particular piece of cyberspace nowadays but watch this space on otter and other predation....I'm not known for lacking balls on this issue !

Cheers
Martin Salter