new lakes : match tactics

T

trev matthews

There are some new match lakes opened near me (Toft Farm Lakes) just outside of Dunchurch and when I went for a walk around today there was a match on each lake. There were loads of different methods being used but no one seemed to be catching anything. I understand there are loads of silver fish in one lake and loads of small carp in the other. The lady in the onsite cafe said that theve been open for a few months now and that the best weight out of the carp lake is over 50lb and the silver lake 20 lb. Most of the chaps were using poles and fishing maggotts, but there were pellets and corn on sale in the cafe. Has anyone got any views on how to approach a new lake ?

Rich P

Reaction score
Yes, from the bank /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Honestly, I can't think why anyone would want to fish such a place (not wanting to denigrate the place, of course). Are you going to fish a match there?

T

trev matthews

Rich there were two matches taking place so I think there are lots of people who want to fish such a place, im going back at the weekend to learn for myself, just wanted some constructive advice thats all. Perhaps I shouldnt bother in the future.

Rich P

Reaction score
Trev,

Sorry I what I wrote was denigrating - I guess I'm just not into match fishing, or the venues prepared for that kind of angling.

There's plenty of good advice on this forum. Perhaps I should keep quiet.

Good luck.....

T

trev matthews

Hi Rich thank you for that. Just caught me in a female mood must be something in the tea. I understand that not everyone is a match angler.

Trev

glenn melsome

Reaction score
i have done match fishing for 7 yrs years ago but honestly you've gotto extinguish weather your fishing carp, tench, roach, Rudd, perch or any other species

i wouldn't fish for a couple of times

if its just a club match get there early to where they meet talk to a few people they are quite harmless you no ask some questions try to find out hos the best that is the person you want to sit behind but not in his way see how he sets up see what tackle hes using and what bait hes yousing heain't going to have with him something that is a waste of time

the first 2hrs is the most important then be back for the

last hour and sit behind him again or the last 2hrs if you've got the time the things that you can pick up from watching a good angler is top notch

glenn melsome

Reaction score
honestly there isin t enough match fishing on tally

they keep showing thees fishing programs but i would rather watch a match

Ive recorded fish o mania and Ive already watch it 3/4 times already and the amount Ive learnt is tremendous