Barometric Pressure/ Moon Phases

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Here is an old chestnut re-visited, I have no empiric data on this one, but I have noticed that when a high pressure system, with little wind occurs, accompanied by a full moon,then the fish in the rivers that I fish turn off. Sunday was just such a day, and not only myself but every one on the river, including several all nighters, and another guy who had prebaited his swim, for a week, had absolutely zilch.

My son who fished a usually prolific stillwater, reported a very difficult day, with only a few roach & bream, and one small carp off the top at dusk. Unfortunately I do not keep a detailed diary, so is this a selective memory thing.

I have read about this in thepast and I just wondered if any of you guys have hadsimilar experiences

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

Went fishing yesterday on me local river. Caught sweet FA! Not even so much as a bite.

M

Maggot

I remember having one of my best ever nights Carping on a warm night during a violent thunderstorm, (it was during the fibre glassdays - not Carbon Fibre).

The fish started feeding violently about an hour before the storm hit us and continued for another 2 hrs afterwards.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's the full moon and clear skies, perhaps caused by high pressure. There's always the exception to the rule, but otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Winds from the east as well - When the wind's from the east, fish bite the least. When the wind's from the west, fish bite the best.

Whistling is also a bad luck thing as is saying "rabbit" unless you follow it with "Fox, fox, fox!" No good shouting "Nash" or "Gardner", it has to be "fox".

Don't turn over a groundsheet and watch out for old women with a squint.

Edit: Never count your loose change under a full moon. Never pee on a frog or toad. Never claim to be sick and then go fishing as an accident WILL most certainly befall you, otherwise known as "swinging the lead".

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Also getting reports that the Wear fished very badly on Sunday; maybe there is something in it more than just coincidence. John Conway is your man for data. Still struggling to understand, John. But the I am a (adopted) Mackam.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Never pee on a frog or toad"

PLEASE NOTE !!!!!

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I fished onsaturday on a normally productive peg on my local stillwater using tried and tested tactics and struggled all day and managed to snare one 5lb carp while contemplating a blank. The conditions seemed ok but the bailiffe informed me on one of his forays round the lake that it was fishing terrible. I had a similar experience on the trent on tuesday on a day that was saved by being in good company in the shape of Fred Bonney with whom i shall be renewing my aquaintance in the not too distant future.