catchment management plan

jasonbean1

Reaction score
anyone seen there local draft then?...

ever got the feeling you've been **** on from a above?...got the cherwell one last week after a bit of chasing. finally the truth's coming out, perhaps too late i know...but before the river dries up i'll have my say!

the reply for the cherwell one as to be in by the 17th of march...

there is a cover up going on you knows....:mad:

cg74

Reaction score
Jason, the Cherwell will not dry up; Thames Water have far to much sewage to rid itself of.....

cg74

Reaction score
I think a bit of background info is called for.

Basically the EA put together a 'consultation draft' of The Cherwell Catchment Management Plan, this 'consultation' is meant for "all interested parties" to put forward their thoughts.

ONLY it seems the number of angling bodies involved was, well not quite so many as I'd have expected. In fact the club Jason represents Kidlington AS weren't even notified, Jason was contacted by an official from one of the few angling bodies that were being 'involved.'

This may have been acceptable yesteryear, lost in the post.... blah blah
But in the current world of 'click and send' (for free), it is in my opinion a disgrace! As between the EA and the Upper Thames Fishery Consultative they have a plethora of contact email addresses of interested anglers and angling bodies.

Then on finally gaining a copy, I have to admit it mildly amused me in a sadistic way; typified by lines like this: "The diverse environment means that the catchment supports various tourist activities. Angling is a key activity within the catchment, with fisheries supporting populations of roach, dace, chub and native brown trout."

Is there more than one river Cherwell?
As that sure isn't a true representation of the Cherwell that joins the Thames in Oxford; I mean don't dress it down, the reason our "tourist" anglers can't seem to catch barbel, is they just can't get through the vast shoals of "native brown trout" and I was shocked further; no mention of the masses of grayling present...... :rolleyes::mad:

Anyone interested in having a read PM me, as I can't get a link to work on here.

The bad one

Reaction score
Is this the one you are referring to?
http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/PDF/GETH0705BJHS-E-E.pdf
Didn't have much problem finding it I have to say.

That said there are as I see it 2 routes of engagements to solving this problem to bring to the attention of concerned anglers.

1. The EA on their home page should have a displayed section saying "Consultations"
Click on that and a list of all consultations running nationally should then be displayed.

2. The Angling Trust should have a similar facility (link) on their home page.
After all they meet with the head of the EA once a quarter, or did. So they have his ear to make sure this happens in both cases.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
it's the new one that came out this Jan and as to be replied to by march 17th, i pressume this is happening on all catchments at the moment to get in line with the water framework directive.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Best thing is to sign in to the consultation process, you only do it once when you want to submit a response, after that they notify you of everything.

PS, Don't know who is in charge of Upper Thames now, used to be Mike Mann I think, but it's not up to them to notify everyone of all these consultations although I would agree with you if someone knew about it and knew you would be interested, they might have told you.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
anyone seen there local draft then?...

ever got the feeling you've been **** on from a above?...got the cherwell one last week after a bit of chasing. finally the truth's coming out, perhaps too late i know...but before the river dries up i'll have my say!

the reply for the cherwell one as to be in by the 17th of march...

there is a cover up going on you knows....:mad:

Not so much a cover-up, more Big Society in inaction ... when the going gets tough and "consultation" is being seen for the "Make a noise, we'll ignore it" sham that it is, the Smart Sorts bail out to sunnier climes...

BBC News - David Cameron adviser Steve Hilton takes sabbatical

And if the above seems "Political" to some, that's because it is.