More Garish Garb

terry m

Reaction score
Following on from the garish rod graphics thread, I have often wondered why match anglers apparel is so brightly coloured when compared to the normal angling green or camo clothing?

I am not a match angler, can someone throw some light on this paradox?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And why the big names on it? Like Daiwa in 6" letters down the trouser leg?

A tackle dealer of yesteryear once said "Why would you want to advertise a company's brand on your person and not get paid for it?"

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sponsorship off the top anglers - and for the rest following the herd - sames are carp, barbel specimen - just us pleaseure anglers that don't

carefully hides Realtree jacket as he types

sam vimes

Reaction score
Following on from the garish rod graphics thread, I have often wondered why match anglers apparel is so brightly coloured when compared to the normal angling green or camo clothing?

I am not a match angler, can someone throw some light on this paradox?

Probably because it barely makes a jot of difference what clothing you wear on the bank. I tend to mix and match depending on the style of fishing and type of venue. It's got a lot more to do with conforming and fashion than it does with fish or fishing. It amuses me no end when the green brigade seem to think that the match crowd are ruining their chances because of their clothing. It also makes me giggle that there are plenty of cammo warriors that seem to think that wearing a tree allows them to stomp around and have a disco on the bank.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Grey Heron's been a successful catcher of fish for some 60 million years................... now I wonder what colour their camouflage evolved to with all this sucess:confused:;)

Jerry
PS I'm with Sam on this, IMO it's of far greater importance how you act on the bank rather than what you wear.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
And why the big names on it? Like Daiwa in 6" letters down the trouser leg?

A tackle dealer of yesteryear once said "Why would you want to advertise a company's brand on your person and not get paid for it?"

Advertising and not get paid for it !!!. Do you remember years ago Jeff, anglers wearing bodywarmers/jackets emblazoned with all the tackle manufacturers 'cloth' badges.

Mine was covered in brewery bar towels,I always was the height of fashion :):)

little oik

Reaction score
All that free advertising for one . As long as you dont skyline then does it matter what you wear unless you are stalking in the margins (and I mean margins not 4 or 5 metres out )

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Mine was covered in brewery bar towels,I always was the height of fashion
But wasn't that where you'd gone to sleep on them the night before and when they dried they'd stuck to you? :D

I don't think it makes any difference what you wear, as Sam says, it's how you behave on the bank that matters. Our club used to have evening matches and fish into darkness, each angler had a Colman or North Star (was it?) lamp lit up like a 100 watt bulb, but it was always on and never moved! Any boat on the Thames passing the match might have thought they were passing Blackpool during the illuminations, but they caught some big weights of roach and bream from not too far out at times. Yet the 'specie' guys (some, not all) wander around with head torches on, switching them off when not required, and wonder why their catches aren't as good.

I hand fed a shoal of chub once, about 50 or so fish from 2-5lbs, with pellets and I was wearing bright clothing (Hawaiin shirt, my normal summer wear :)) and the fish were swimming through my shadow across the water. 'Keep off the skyline', yes, but only if you are moving about a lot.

little oik

Reaction score
I hand fed a shoal of chub once, about 50 or so fish from 2-5lbs, with pellets and I was wearing bright clothing (Hawaiin shirt, my normal summer wear :)) and the fish were swimming through my shadow across the water. 'Keep off the skyline', yes, but only if you are moving about a lot.[/QUOTE]

Arrgh!!!! but you couldn't have been wearing your Board shorts and Jesus boots at the time surely