Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary: February 2012

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Nice read Steve. I spent a long time in Oz when I was younger and now wished I had done a bit of fishing. They told me carp were vermin though.

I'm reading Len Arbery's new book and thoroughly enjoying it. Highly recommended.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
nice to see Sean and Lee mentioned in the same list as John Bailey and Martin Bowler

I've had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with both - and both arev great blokes as well as great anglers

Reaction score
nice to see Sean and Lee mentioned in the same list as John Bailey and Martin Bowler

I've had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with both - and both arev great blokes as well as great anglers

Miyagi and the Swordster... great anglers, M'lud...? Are you on a Bristol Cream bender again? Lol! ;):w

No mention of Guy Robb or Stu Morgan, Steve?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Miyagi and the Swordster... great anglers, M'lud...? Are you on a Bristol Cream bender again? Lol! ;):w

No mention of Guy Robb or Stu Morgan, Steve?

Remember that we are talking "No, not from that angle, THIS is my good side" Celebridees here, ****y - Angling and Anglers (let alone the latters' ability / lack of ab' / integrity) really don't come into it. Once you understand this, all will be clear to you and you can just go fishing.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Remember that we are talking "No, not from that angle, THIS is my good side" Celebridees here, ****y - Angling and Anglers (let alone the latters' ability / lack of ab' / integrity) really don't come into it. Once you understand this, all will be clear to you and you can just go fishing.

That must be why I didn't get a mention - I'm ugly from all angles

but seriously and not to take the thread of track

I can't speak for the other because i've never met htem but Sean and Lee are both great blokes to fish with and no doubt good anglers - there back on track

Reaction score

Clear as mud Paul! :) Cheers, feeling better already, and off fishing tomorrow :)

As I know both these celebridees personally I thought it would be bad form to miss an opportunity to take the peas! And yes, reluctantly I'll admit they do catch a few... quite a few in fact more than me ;) :)

Back on topic...

Guy Robb and Stu Morgan, Steve?

As Fred says great carps! :)

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Clear as mud Paul! :) Cheers, feeling better already, and off fishing tomorrow :)

As I know both these celebridees personally I thought it would be bad form to miss an opportunity to take the peas! And yes, reluctantly I'll admit they do catch a few... quite a few in fact more than me ;) :)

Glad you understand. Took a mate of 36 years for a river-side walk this afternoon on the way to a pub where at 5.00pm we'd bail out and head off our different ways for home. The river was low and summer-filthy in winter, black algae / slime on most gravels, but I still enthused ... "Just up here, T, I have had some fine barbel in recent years ... don't fish it now, moved on, but ... wouldn't believe it, would you? ... river this size, how it looks now...".

Then we encountered a well-enthroned barbel angler.

"Don't talk to him, T, just walk past ... it won't be nice..."

But T, like myself, not one for up-themselves canutes, pitched in with some chat.

Never seen such WTF paranoia on a man's face since I last fished the stretch three years ago; the man was clearly in the grip of some "Flight or fight" internal dialogue, and was none too friendly when he finally managed a few words (more grunts) to a couple of guys who definitely did not LOOK like Anglers, but who just might have been.

We continued our walk.

T. (an ex-angler who caught his first barbel with me when I took him to fish the Kennet in 1977) to Me: "Effin ell, Paul, what's 'e on?"

Me to T: "Whatever it is, it's flooded the market, T, and I want none of it."

And at that we strode on, got to the pub, did a couple of friendly pints, then went our different ways home.

Reaction score
Glad you understand. Took a mate of 36 years for a river-side walk this afternoon on the way to a pub where at 5.00pm we'd bail out and head off our different ways for home. The river was low and summer-filthy in winter, black algae / slime on most gravels, but I still enthused ... "Just up here, T, I have had some fine barbel in recent years ... don't fish it now, moved on, but ... wouldn't believe it, would you? ... river this size, how it looks now...".

Then we encountered a well-enthroned barbel angler.

"Don't talk to him, T, just walk past ... it won't be nice..."

But T, like myself, not one for up-themselves canutes, pitched in with some chat.

Never seen such WTF paranoia on a man's face since I last fished the stretch three years ago; the man was clearly in the grip of some "Flight or fight" internal dialogue, and was none too friendly when he finally managed a few words (more grunts) to a couple of guys who definitely did not LOOK like Anglers, but who just might have been.

We continued our walk.

T. (an ex-angler who caught his first barbel with me when I took him to fish the Kennet in 1977) to Me: "Effin ell, Paul, what's 'e on?"

Me to T: "Whatever it is, it's flooded the market, T, and I want none of it."

And at that we strode on, got to the pub, did a couple of friendly pints, then went our different ways home.

Lol! Paul you have become the Angler's Aesop; a very entertaining and cautionary tale! ;)

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi ****y,

I included Stu and Guy in the last Diary piece!

Steve.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Nathan, carp are not liked at all here and that's an understatement! In NSW the rule as I understand it is carp should not be returned, not must not as it is in other states. Its understandable as there are so many wonderful species already here.

Cheers Fred, next time out the forums and blogs come under the microscope, could be fun!

the wise one

Reaction score
Have I missed the March river diary?

I have really enjoyed these so far, and am looking forward the next one.

T.W.O

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pleased to hear you are enjoying Steve's pieces, we are too!

Fear not - even though he is in Oz Steve has written a March diary for us and it will be published on site in the next day or two, another cracking read it is too!