The Hardy Featherweight Perfection

M

Maggot

A workcolleague of mine as just brought in a split cane rod that used to belong to her father and asked me to look at it to see if it was worth her keeping.

The rod is a fly rod with the following inscription on it:

Hardys

The Featherweight Perfection

Registered Trade Mark “Palakona”

It is in immaculate condition and is still in its original rod bag.

Does anyone know roughly how much I can tell her its worth?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Tell her it's not worth much and offer her a fiver for it.

In turn I will then offer you a tenner for it!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Not sure what its worth, but a tenner for a bit of old wood? Being a bit over generous there Ron.

A good few years ago when I was working the widow of an old customer called me to ask the value of her late husbands Hi Fi equipment; she'd been offered about the same as Ron is willing to pay for the rod. Bearing in mind this was before the cheap far eastern stuff started to come in, the old lad had a full Quad system including 4 Quad electrostatic speaker systems and a Goldring transcription deck. It was all housed a hand made rosewood cabinet.

The con-man was not only trying to take the old girls eyes out, but her gold fillings as well.

Suggest you get a proper valuation maggot before Ron races off to the Post Office.

M

Maggot

It also has the following inscribed so it can be dated to 1936 as i think George V Died in 1936

By Appointment

To the Late To The

King George V Prince Of Wales

1931 To 1936

Lark

Reaction score
Ron,

I'd drop the offer back down to a fiver if it's gotbloody writing all over it!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

My cheque book and signature are poised, now who do I make out the £5 plus postage by special delivery to?

M

Maggot

Thanks John, and Kevin

Ron its not mine to sell.

Ihave a B. James & Son Richard Walker MkV split cane which I bought off my mate for a tenner in 1976; which may not be worth ahuge amountbut I wouldnt sell cause Im a hoarder (so my wife says)

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

Trisantona

Reaction score
What ever you do,don't start waggling it about,most probably be OK but can dry out over the years and snap like a matchstick./forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif