Any Kiwi's on here?

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
My family and I are planning to emigrate to New Zealand. We hope to be there by March/April of next year.

I've been trying to do a bit of research on the freshwater fishing on offer. We're looking at moving to the Wellington area.

I've read that there are Tench to be found in some waters. Any information on Tench fishing (as i understand it's not that big a sport in NZ) would be much appreciated. Also any links to good fishing sites.

Also are there any Barbel in the waters of New Zealand? I presume not due to the lack of information about them.

Thanks in advance /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif)

richie

Reaction score
Iremember from living over there that Perch, Rudd and Tench have been introduced and thrive in a lot of waters. Catfish and Carp have been introduced andhave done so well they are treated as pests. The native eels are HUGE.

Ijust went sea fishing when i was there. I rememberone of the fishing magazineshas a coarse fishing section. I don't remember seeing anycoarse tackle on sale anywhere though.

http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/CoarseFishinginNZ.htm

Good luck mate, its a cracking place to live.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Go and catch some wild rainbows on Taupo and the Tongarira.

The sea fishing is fantastic too.

Terry McLaughlin

Reaction score
I've been in NZ for 20+ years and I've fished quite a bit of it. There are a few tench north of Wellington but the best tench fishing is in the South Island around Christchurch. Koi carp are in the North Island only - mainly in the Waikato River (some absolute submarines there!) and around Auckland. Rudd are around Auckland and in the South Island in a few places. Perch are throughout both Islands, although they are a bit patchy and there have been catfish caught in the North Island. I've never caught any cats, and I believe they are the brown bullhead variety, rather than the larger species, and only get up to about 6lbs or so.

Coarse fishing suffers from a great deal of ill-informed prejudice in this country, mostly driven by the ultra-green and idealistic Department of Conservation, a Government Agency that has the aim of ultimately eliminating from the country all forms of wildlife that aren't native to NZ. Their bias has influenced some of the Regional Fish and game Councils to look at banning coarse fishing completely - on the grounds that fish have been 'introduced' illegally to certain waters.

Christchurch has the best tench fishing in the country, with several stillwaters that contain fish approaching double figures, and the best perch fishing is in the lower half of the South Island. Match fishing is quite popular in and around Auckland - the main body that represents coarse fishing over here is the New Zealand Federation of Coarse Anglers (NZFOCA) which is unfortunately mainly preoccupied with promoting matches in and around Auckland, to the exclusion of any of the rest of the country, and indeed any other matters affecting coarse fishing over here. Unfortunately I don't have a contact for coarse fishing in Wellington, butI know there are a few guys up there who indulge.

Hope this helps, but if you'd like to know in more detail about what is available in NZ, feel free to e-mail me and I'll find out more for you from some of my contacts who are more active (I mostly fish for trout now) tpmcl@xtra.co.nz

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
thanks for the info Terry. I found my way to www.coarsefishing.co.nz tonight by following a few different links.
Seems there are unconfirmed reports of Bream in the South Island and also Barbel.
I persoanally love all types of fishing and it would be nice to still be able to do a spot of coarse fishing.