Wye, Warks Avon or Severn??

T

Thalia

Going to be havingday out with a couple of fishing mates in a couple of week time. We primarily would like to find some good barbel fishing but if they're not having it then reliable chub.

Looking at Belmont stretch (possibly) of Wye near hereford, Bewdley or somewhere around Evesham for the Avon.

Wide question I know - but just how are the 3 rivers (stretches) fishing presently? Are the levels and colours good?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Mate......all the rivers you mention could change in the next day or two never mind couple of weeks..........but if i had to nail one of them it would be the Severn around Bewdley, give or take a mile or two/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

T

Thalia

Paul - thanks for that.

I guessed I'd be told that, I was just after a feel of whether these fisheries were producing now and what the conditions are like. Certainly I'd expect the big two to be totally different if the weather changed. As you say - you'd probably go for the Severnbut if it was really low and clear then I suppose it would be better to give it a miss?

That's why I'm asking such a general question now really. IfI was told the Wye for instance was spot on and we didn't get too much rain in the next two weeks then I think we may opt for that but in the absence of local knowledgewe're shooting in the dark.

My mates and I have been to the Dorset Stour for years and it's getting harder and harder so I've been tasked with setting something up that might produce.

T

Thalia

Ok - getting closer. Going in a weeks time and weather still holding, what's looking favourite at the moment. We need to catch some barbel and chub.

T

Thalia

cakey, you're right. That would normally be my mantra, have no idea why I phrased it like that. /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

T

Thalia

Looking very much like the Wye at the moment although like Paul saysabove the level could change drastically before then.

Have had an internet bookmark for www.wyefishery.com for ages but it now goes noewhere. Does anyone know if this stretch of river near Goodrich is still day ticket etc.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
For the most prolific chub and barbel stretch on the Wye look no further than the Bartonsham stretch on the southside of Hereford the downside is it is quite a walk to the best part of the stretch. The stretch is 'U' shaped and the entrances are at the open side of the 'U' the best parts being the bottom side butit isvery prolific andwell worth the walk, day tickets are available from Woody's tackle shop. The Belmont won't fish until next month probablybut once the roach start feeding you know the fish have returned (they disappear somewhere during the summer) again Woody is the man to ask.

I agree with Paul, on the Severn the Bewdley area is the place to be if you want lots of bites though the barbel don't run big thereStan Lewis's water is probably amongst the best in that area, tickets available from his shop in the middle of Bewdley on the bridge.

T

Thalia

Hello Graham, not spoken to you for a while. Had lots of snippets of info from you before on this subject but lost it all in a PC crash some time ago. True to form you have given more detail than anyone. I've seen that about Belmont elsewhere that from a match fishing standpoint the fish disappear then come back again!

Spoke to Woody today and we may well be heading to some of the water he sells tickets for but also considering a stretch just above Ross that GB sports sell access to.

Was thinking of heading for the Red Lion stretch but for non-staying hotel guests they only have a mile of water. Perhaps next time I'll have an overnight stay and take in their 4 miles of water.

T

Thalia

Graham - have e-mailed you.

Whereabouts exactly in the Bartonsham stretch? Can't find it on multimap, what's the nearest place apart from Hereford of course!

T

Thalia

Well - went on Saturday. Good day for it, was supposed to be sunny but was a mixture. River level up a foot and rising with colour. Woody put us on Hereford and DAA stretch on opposite bank to Belmont golf course.

Quite a few fishing it a lot of whom normally fish it and thought river was in great nick. Almost everyone failed! Had one small whisker at end of day about 12oz! Could have fished for silver fish but went for barbel.

Will have to chalk that one up to nature I think. Want to fish it again definitely, what a beautiful river and surrounding countryside. Only gripe about the place is that there does seem to be quite a bit of litter lying around. One swim my mate settled in even had a pile of human sh*t in it!