European Sub Species

T

The Monk

I`ve always found it fasinating reading about some of the barbel, chub and other European sub species of freshwater fish, has any one caught any of these on overseas trips

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Well mate there was this Dutch bird from Rot........

Hell I thought you were talking about women mate!/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

T

The Monk

haha I was/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

#

no seriuously I`ve always been interested in other species of fish

T

The Monk

EuropeBarbus barbus, the barbel native to Britain is known simply as the barbel and is a popular sport fish.Subspecies of B. barbus are recognised; namely B. barbus bocagei, B. barbus sclateri, B. barbus thessalus and B. barbus plebejus.The Mediterranean barbel Barbus meridionalis is actually found in Spain, France, Poland, Romania, and the Ukraine.Barbus sclateri is sometimes known as the European barbel.The Italian barbel Barbus tyberinus.The Albanian barbel Barbus albanicus and another species Barbus prespensis (The prespa barbel from Greece) are known.The Iberian barbel Barbus comizo is found in Spain and Portugal. AsiaThe Crimean barbel Barbus tauricus is found in the Salgir River in the Crimean peninsular. A subspecies, the Kuban barbel Barbus tauricus kubanicus is found in the upper and middle Kuban River in Russia.The Aral barbel Barbus brachycephalus is found in Central Asia, and the sub-species B. brachycephalus caspius (the Caspian Barbel) is found in the Caspian Sea.The Bulatmai barbel Barbus capito capito (Cyprinus capito) is found in the Kura river in Trans-caucasia.The Terek barbel Barbus ciscaucasicus is found in the Kuma River, Russia.The Turkestan barbel Barbus conocephalus is found in the Zeravshan river.The Gokcha barbel Barbus goktschaicus is found in the Gokcha Lake (Lake Sevan) in Armenia.The Kura barbel Barbus lacerta (Mtkvari barbel) is found in Syria.The Himri barbel Barbus Luteus is native to Mesopotamian rivers.The Amur barbel or 'Barbel steed (Hemibarbus labeo) is found in the Amur basin and elsewhere in east and south-east Asia, including southeast Siberia.

R

I have hadno experience of European barbel mate, otherthan Barbusbarbus of course.

But I have caught several African Barbus species including Large and Small Mouth yellowfish and several cousins of them in the Cape Province.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
I,ve caught Barbel on the Tiber in Italy if that counts mate.

T

Tony Rocca

I have caught a couple of the different Spanish sorts Mr Monk sir.

Off there again in 4 weeks as it happens.

I

Ian Cloke

A friend of mine was catching barbel in Romania, a couple of weeks ago, I'll see if he will send me some pic's of them.

R

Who fancies the Upper Tigris. There is a Barbus species there that grows to over 100 lbs. Apparently it looks like the Mahseer.

T

The Monk

Thanks guys, interesting stuff, so many different sps over the channel, never caught any barbus sps myself

R

Both the Euphrates and Tigris rivers are home to one of the largest of this species in the world. It grows to over 300 lbs and is known by the common name of Mangar.

Barbus esocinus.

davie

Reaction score
i`ve never caught any but i have seen plenty of european sub species taking carp from local ponds, /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

David Craine

Reaction score
I caught something in Italy I could not put a name to, or get rid of for ages./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Athletes foot is Hell.