Dinsmores Thick Cut Auto-Shot

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, I am not a technically minded person (being a B school grad) but, after reading the review I am left wondering:

What good (or is that use) is a size 9's, 10's or 11's shot on a line of 0.20mm to 0.30mm?

I would have thought that the natural buoyancy in these 'thick' lines negates the effectiveness of such small shot?

I can see the use of size 9's to 11's on lines of, say, 0.06mm to 0.09mm as I've used these extensively on my pole rigs, but this review leaves me with questions.

T

Terry D

I don't normally go for 'gimmicks' but after seeing the video it does seem a very good addition to the tackle box, especially for match carp anglers using lines up to say .20mm. I can't see the point of using no 8s on lines thicker than this though.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It won't apply shots in size 9s or 10s as the Thick Cut applicator is made only in sizes 8 and 11.

I've only used the size 8 so I can't comment on the size 11.

I agree that a single no.8 is nota great deal ofuse on a line of 0.20mm or thicker, but several no.8 shot, either in a bunch or strung out, works to the same principle as several smaller shot on finer line.

I know that when I'm trotting (float fishing stillwaters too, to a lesser extent) I much prefer a group of smaller shot rather than one big one, especially when I want the shot strung out.

The 'natural buoyancy' of thick lines is much less than the natural buoyancy of thinner lines (given the same material and construction thickerusually means heavier and heavier means less buoyant).

Test it for yourself: Using the same make and type of line, cast a thin line and a thick line on the water with no weight and see which sinks the fastest.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I thoght Preston Stotz(?) were designed for the samepurpose and they are of course pre-cut.

I have caught a good few barbel on the float in my time and have never used anythingsmaller than a size 4 as a dropper on the basis that in the vast majority of swims you want the bait down near the bottom fairly quickly.

Still you are not forced to buy them.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I can't see the point of using no 8s on lines thicker than this though."

The manufacturer would have agreed with you too, Terry, but obviously match fishing is changing with the commercials and double figure carp and if this is what they want, they now have it.

I can see barbel anglers wanting to trot a stick float needing one though. There is no way you will pin a normal split shot on 6-8lb line without it keep falling off. As for a size 11, I don't know if that was just a matter of seeing how far they could take it, but I'll bet my Christmas presents that someone will want one.

I too feel that a bunch of small shot is better than a larger one, same argument as fish mistaking it for hempseed. I also used it on a float that was already balance with it's own weight and all you could add to sink the bait quicker was a size 8 shot.

It does work Peter, but you need to up your game and start catching bigger fish. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif