Landing nets OK?

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
<u>NO keepnets or sacks allowed till further notice.</u>

The abovewas a signon the entrance to a water i fished. A bailiff was asked why this was, his reply was: 'there is a water not far away that has a suspected disease outbreakthat is killing fish'. Hecouldnt elaborate on this. though he did say that the ban on nets/sacks was temporary. This was 12mths ago.

Now, if avenue decides to ban keepnets and sacks for the above reasons,( presumably to stave off infection of thier own venue) surelythis should also include Landing nets too!?? After all , a net is a net and a landing net is just as capable of being infected too. Isnt it??

Please dont turn this into a for/against keepnets debate.

J

Jonathan Northmore BA HONS

Right for imposing the rule, but they should have a net dip in place for landing nets.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

They may have decided to keep the ban in place for biosecurity reasons. It’s their water they can do what they want to protect their stock.

It would however have been courteous of them to make it common knowledge that that is why it’s still in place.

Agree with J N, net dips and enforcement of their use would be helpful.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Th emost effective way of cleaning a net is to make sure it is thouroughly dry before each session, so as not to transmit diseases, viruses, or parasites.

F

Fred Bonney

Yeh but,that wasn't the question!

I agree, landing nets should be treated the same way.Defeats the object otherwise.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Thanks for that Fred and i also agree with the 'net dip,' but i was told that a net would need to be immersed for about 4hrs to disinfect it properly.Dont know if that correct or not.

And as for the biosecurity reason for keeping the ban in place, this is a possibility, but a stretch of river nearbye that is controlled by the same 'people' has no such ban in place!!?

F

Fred Bonney

Most of the net dips I've seen I wouldn't want to put my net in!!!!/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Also i would add that i have been to waters that require the dipping of all nets prior to fishing, but nobody polices it, and a lot of anglers dont bother because they have so much gear with them, that to unpack and thencarry soaking nets,drippingdisinfectantover other gear, is to much of a chore for them. I am being realistic here chaps, people do think that way.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

No Wayne, that wasn' the question. But if an answer is to be given on cleaning nets, then we might as well have the right one. And that is advice from the NFA, and the E.A.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Your point is valid Baz. Its easy to veer away from the original question. So 'should landing nets also be banned'when a keepnet/sack ban is in place, for the reasons outlined in the orginal post???

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

In my opinion yes.

One of the most likey cause of a spread of disease is by waterfowl. Nets come low down on the list of possible causes of spreading of disease. The owner should have done his homework better before applying any bans. He has left himself wide open to ridicule by allowing landing nets still to be in use, while at the same time banning keepnets.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I don't use a keepnet/sack these days...no need to, my landing net never gets wet.

C

Cakey

they should supply the gear.......................and ban nets sacks weigh slings etc

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
One place in Norfolk not only provided their own landing nets - and insisted that ONLY they be used - but also had "Dip" and "Rinse" buckets they asked you to use before and after fishing. "Belt and braces" philosophy, perhaps, but it seemed to work for them.

C

Cakey

I hope more and more places do it .....................I wont have to carry germs and smelly things around with me no more

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

What Baz says is correct nets that are dried thoroughly don’t present a problem.

The advice given by the EA is to dry them in sunlight, as the UV rays kill most if not all fish diseases.

It might interest you to know that Water Treatment plants use UV screening to kill off all the nasties that come through the sewage system.

I don’t use nets or sacks but out of the three the landing net is the one that most likely to get dried out due to it being in use most infrequently (nets with fish in only taken out of the water at the end of the day. Slings being left in a wet heap in the hope of another internee) and the exposure it gets to the drying process when not in use.

On a personal note, my tackle lives in the house and a wet landing net (stinking) is the biggest recipe for some severe Nag Pie. So I always attempt to get it dry before packing it away.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Baz and Phil are spot on, my club recommends drying your nets thoroughly rather than dipping to kill off the bugs. Much more effective and more likely to be done.

F

Fred Bonney

It gets a wash too,Jonny!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I take mine out into the garden and stretch it out ,if it rains, I count it as a bonus.