Using a centrepin

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Today i have been on the River with Alan Roe using a centre pin and doing the Wallis cast! WOW, i've never had so much fun in fishing, i loved it!

I didn't know you could catch barbel on the stik float! i lost 3 good barbel, but that was through not giving the fish any line. Alan couldn't understand why i kept losing them and then i said "should i let them have some line" hahah. Then when i knew what to do i had a cracking barbel, chub and also some roach.

I shall be investing in one of the centre pin reels this week and using it all the time for my stik float on the rivers. I didn't know they would be so much fun.

Alan, thank you for a fantastic day and introducing me to the Wallis cast and centre pin Reel! Also showing me how to read the river properly, and now i know where the head of the run is and tail of the run is, i shall remember it on every river i go on!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
For stick float fishing ,the centerpin is 'kingpin', the control you get is superb, and as you learn more about it you wil realise that all species can be enticed with the different presentations youcan offer with the 'pin'.I own a couple of 'pins', both Okuma, (aventa and more recently, sheffield), I would put the Sheffield against any, and for a little over£100 you get a lot of reel for your money .Itake it that you are now a convert to the finerthings in angling, Wendy.

For those who want to see the 'Wallis Cast' in action: Check out Alan Roe, in the technique section of this website.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Wayne, i took to the Wallis cast so well, i was casting it with so much ease! Yes i am now converted, i should imagine anyone who tries it would be converted too.

The reel i used was the Okuma aventa, and it felt nice and light for me too.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
I have watched anglers getting in all sorts of trouble with a 'pin', line round the back of the reel, spools over running, line wound around the handles when winding in, line getting hooked on buttons and clothing when casting, hooking trees, and themselvesetc.....a little bit of patience goes a long way when using a 'pin'. I think a lot more people would use them if they, like you, took the time to learn a technique or two. Nice one Wendy.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Well gents I have always said that learning the Wallis cast is easy and Wendy certainly proved that as I think it may have taken her all of ten minutes to grasp the basics and within a few minutes more she was landing a float with commendable accuracy.

I was delighted to see Wendy finally land her first barbel on the pin, the excitement in her eyes was a joy.

Despite having a fairly stiff breeze to contend with she didn't get into any difficulties with using a pin which again rather proves my longstanding point that fishing with a pin is not difficult. However it is very pleasureable!

If anyone else wants to learn feel free to contact me.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nick it is easy mate, i will honestly never use anything but a centre pin for the rivers now. I honestly thought using a stik float all you could catch would be the smaller fish, never n my wildest dreams did i think i would catch a barbel.

Having Alan has my teacher was ace, he showed me everything, and like he said i picked it up in mins! That was down to having a great teacher.

Y

yoggy

Wend, I really enjoy using the centerpin,which begs the question why on earth dont I use it more often!!!/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Nick.we`ll have a crack on the Ouse and Ivel later on using them if you fancy it mate?.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
yogs, yes you should use it more often. I'm going to buy one of them reels sometime this week i think, and then get back out next weekend and use it.

I'm hoping to get down to you soon, and we can all have a go with it, i will never use anything else now for stick float. I'm still buzzing, Alan has just sent me the pics and it brought it all back again./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Hmm... I tried Wallis casting with my Okuma pin, ended up either tangled or landing about two foot in front of me every time.

I didn't give up after one outing with it either, I tried it out a few times.

I didn't bother replacing it when it got nicked.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Wendy was it a stick float or a balsa or Avon you were using?

Certainly you need a very free spinning reel to allow a stick float to pull off line in slower currents where a small open faced reel might be better.

T

teecee

Paul'Pikey'-The Wallis Cast,like everything in life,is easier for some than others-you really do have to persevere with it.I spent some hours in my garden trying to master it following the instructions found by typing WallisCast into Google.For most it does take time and what you end up with will be slightly different to others.Practice,Practice is what its all about I'm afraid!!

I recall reading that Chris Yates has a really odd cast but it is effective forHIM!

I also remember reading that the cast mentioned in Bernard Venables book'Mr Crabtree goes Fishing'was almost impossible to execute in practice,so it can be difficult if you follow instructions to the word.....

I hope you try again-believe me,NOTHING can compareto a10lb carp taking off down the lakeand you trying to slow it by applying pressure to the drum and burning your fingers!The direct'feel'through the'pin is just wonderful!

Sounds like Wendy has it cracked-great stuff!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Paul, I'd add that whilst Wallis casting is fine and dandy, failure to master it should not put you off using a pin. A lot of the time as you well know, especially on lakes, the fish are in the margins and pulling out a few loops with your fingers will do the trick.

On rivers the loop cast shoud get you two rod lengths out.Any more and you are struggling to control the float any way, however you have cast out.

No need to pay through the nose for a new model.Try and find a little Speedia second hand.That will do fine.

Y

yoggy

Nick, Yes mate that would be nice. Always room for improvement thats what I say!!!

Living in the Fens isn`t ideal trotting territory which is probably why I havn`t used it as often as I should. Although there isn`t anything stopping me from using it for basic float work.

Y

yoggy

Wend, No worries mate, just let me know when you`re heading this way.

I`m sure Nick would pop over as well. You never know you might strike it lucky and Ron might be over on one of his visits!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I can be an impatient learner, I tend to expect a lot from myself and failures get mefrustrated to the point where it's easier to not bother.

I tried loop casting too, I think Bryan Baron gave me a couple of pointers on that one at a Trent fish-in a couple of years back. Never got the hang of that either I'm afraid.

The float either appeared too light to pull line of the spool or I'd give the spool a flick during the cast andthen spend45 minutes swearing at a birds nest.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nigel, i think it was an Avon float we were using.

Paul, i think it does take patience to learn it. My first couple of casts weren't very good they only landed in front of me but then i got the hang of it and knew exactly where i wanted it to land, and used my thumb on the spool to stop it.

Yogs, we'll definatly arrange something for down there, i'll mail you /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifand yeah be good if nick and Ron came along too.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Paul if you are struggling come over and see me and we can sort it