South East Coast

• Thread starter Colin North, the one and only
  • Start date
C

Colin North, the one and only

I despair at the poor quality of fishing in this area. Yesterday, I was one of a party of eight fishing from Ramsgate. We went 15 miles or so of shore to catch nothing more than a few Mackerel, both regular and horse variety. After a couple of hours (maybe less) of this the skipper decided a move was in order, so we then travelled miles and ended up on the Goodwin Sands, where between eight anglers, we caught one Thornback (admittedly, a good size one) and one Smoothound (about 4 lb) and a few lesser spotted doggies.

I couldn't criticize the skipper, who did his best to help everyone, but it seems to me that the fish stocks are now so depleated, I feel reluctant to book another trip out. After all, its not exactly a cheap day out.

Maybe I should think about fishing further round the coast towards Littlehampton or even further round, but right now I am feeling very despondent concerning my part of the South East coast.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Hi Colin,

Some friends went off Ramsgate a few weeks ago, and between 10 of them they had a few mackrel, 48 doggies and one Bass of 5lb, most of the anglers on board were good anglers who new thier stuff.They to were despondent, catching small doggies all day is no fun really. Try dinghy fishing in the estuaries around SE coast, much more fun, and probably more productive.Watch/listen out for the old war cry in the next couple of weeks,'THE COD ARE COMING'!! I've been waiting 10yrs or more, and every time i see/hear it ,i think' oh no ,not that 'ol' chestnut again.

alan

Reaction score
Colin its also that weird time of year when the summer fish are off and the winter are yet to arrive.

now and feb/march time are normally crap.

C

Hi Wayne,

You sound like your into all fishing disciplines like me. I once owned a 17ft Plymouth Pilot but the trouble with fishing in and around estuaries is knowing where one can launch a boat safely, and wether you are depenent on tides etc. I must say that my little boat had a shite engine, totally unreliable, which drank petrol like billio. A tank of petrol would only get you to Southend and back from Sheerness.

Maybe, one of these days, I'll get another boat, with a reliable engine.

My wife Sue caught a 13.5 lb cod from Deal Peir a few years ago, but I can remember when such catches were relatively commonplace, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Alan, according to our skipper yesterday, the fishing has been crap for a number of weeks now. He took us out to a wartime wreck of a liberty ship, in 20 fathoms on water, where he hoped that we might catch Pollock and Cod. There was another boat with us, and they had a small codling, but that all (apart from the Mackerel that is)

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
tel me about it i live in ramsgate and this summer the fishin of the rocksas been crap

alan

Reaction score
Colin, you should try again now. from the solent area i know of at least 30 cod, biggest about 4 lb, but still cod, and all beach caught.

C

Thanks Alan.

The Solent is abit of atreck for me, but it is encouraging to know that fish are being caught somewhere. My problem is not knowing where I could fish from the beach, or get bait locally. I know, for example where I can get bait in Dover, Deal, Ramsgate, Folkstone, Hythe etc, which are in my "neck of the woods" but further affield, I'm stuffed.

Regards,

Colin

A

andrew christian

hi all. Just to let you know there are some nice cod being caught of the admiralty in dover. Sunday was a good day six nice sized cod cae up the wall 1 was just under 17lb two others over 10lb anda few over six i had 2 under 5lb .

andy 2

Reaction score
As far as im aware there are whiting doggys codling providing weather allows.Overcast days seem to produce better results and sea coloured hope this helps .Also lug is a bit scaresat present so order in advance.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
NO PROBLEM WITH LUG I DIG ME OWN AND WITH THESE BIG SPRINGS COMING

BE ABLE 2 GET SUM KING RAG AND RAZORS

TIGHT-LINES GARY

andy 2

Reaction score
great hope weather holds for you. good luck for sunday been told by collegue lighthouse and middle fishing well on all tides all the best andy2

C

Well, another crap days fishing; this time from the harbour wall at Folkstone. Lost tons of rigs. In fact, the first four casts snagged up and I lost everything. I am beginning to despair at the prospect of ever having a decent days fishing around this area.

One sole, a few pouting and whiting between four of us!

C

Hi Eddie,

I do a bit of everything mate. I'm off to Scotland on Sunday, for a weeks Salmon fishing. I suppose that my fishing is predominantly for coarse fish. I certainly would not want to attempt a species hunt in the sea around the South East coast, co's the way it fishing, it would probably be reduced to a "hunt the fish" test.

I told you that I can't do this week-end anyway, but I might be able to do the later ones.

Laney

Reaction score
Not much better up of the suffolk Norfolk Coast either lads! last trip i went out all we got between three of us were about 8 codling all under or around the pound mark, its a joke! i dont remeber the last decent fish i had off the beach!

when i was younger i never came home without a decent feed and a shed load returned! soon there will be nothing left whatsoever! its heart breaking!

C

Don't it make you mad when you see the bald Aussie fat geezer catching those fish, kissing them and putting them back. I'd quite happily do the kissing and putting back if I could catch the buggers in the first place.

Deal Bandit

Reaction score
Anything decent being cought off deal beach yet.Don't get me wrong i don't do bad with plenty of doggies and pouting,but i would like to catch a bass or a thornback.

Any sugestions on bait/tactics anyone?