wounds etc

davie

Reaction score
hi guys and gals, quick question, i was having a days fishing on friday, i caught a few carp about 6 in total with red open sores on their flanks they looked a bit like an ulcer. i was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions as to the cause of these, are they possibly scales that have come off due to foul hooking or line wrapping around the fish in the heat of battle..also is there anything i could use to spray/dab on to these sore`s

thanks in advance for any replies

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Don't know what the cause may be but I think it's unlikely to be caused by line or hooks otherwise it'd be a common sight.

You can get a specific anti-bacterial gel for fish called Klinik or you can use Bonjella.

I would however report it to the controlling club.

W

Wolfman Woody

Klin-ik, made by Kryston.

Bonjella will just sit on the top where Klin-ik penetrates the wound. It just cleans the new wounds up a bit and allows the fish's natural healing process to begin. (secret - it works on humans too, I tried it!)

F

Frothey

klinik really needs a gel to seal it in though, it washes off too easily. or maybe a klinik in gel form?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I thought the Klinik was to be left for 10 seconds to dry on the wound before the fish is re wetted to allow it to penetrate. I used it the other day on a foul hooked fish that was bleeding and the blood stopped almost instantly.

It is best to let the water baliffs know so they can take approriate action if it is something more serious.

davie

Reaction score
thanks for your help everyone, i did report it to the bailiff, he was rather vague on the cause or the remedy in truth i think he just see`s pound coins at the bankside i will however do my bit and apply bonjella until i can buy some klinik [is this available from my local tackle shop]

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Frothey, we can hope, just hope that one has the sense to report it to the person who can do something about it, I just can not sit back and say nothing.

And Yes Davie, I got my Klinik in a local tackle shop

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Davie, get the Orabase mate, far better than Klinik.

C

Cakey

they might of spawned for a second time .........................................they have around here

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Klin-ik - the facts

But I echo what Dave Chilton writes, regardless of the comments and how they're expressed, the posters on this thread demonstrate that they care. That's what's important.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Thanks to Dave Chilton for a very informative article. It is nice to see some facts on these products. I, for one, will continue to use a wound treatment, just glad to know i can use it with confidence.

And Thanks Davie for bringing it up.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Wol: "Davie, get the Orabase mate, far better than Klinik."

Wol, I'm notdisputing what you say as I haven't read any articles like Dave Chilton's about Orabase, but on what evidence/whatever exactly do you base your comments?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot as I really would like to know if there is a better product for treating wounds on fish than Klin-ik, and if there is, what has it got that makes it better than Klin-ik.

W

Graham, Dave talks a lot of sense buti personally find that the Orabase stays on far better. I was reco'd it by a friend who deals with Koi and he says its the best he has used so i went that route. I also know some very busy andwell known circuit waters down this way and the bailiffs really do rate Orabaseand being a busy circuit water they see the recaptures often and the treatment of the Orabase works wonders. Again, not knocking Dave, he isa sound bloke with brilliant products, perhaps i should of put my reasons for using it in my first comment. Knowing the results and comments from the bailiffs i'll stick to the Orabase.

steveo

Reaction score
Finding fish in your lake with ulcers is bad news,a lot of fish could be lost unless they are treated if they are suffering from a virus/bacterial infection.The bailiff/manager should be informed so he can get professional help.

W

Referring to the original post I'm sure most would Stevo but worth mentioning it for those that perhaps wouldn't.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I'm not disputing that Orabase does the job, it was the "far better than Klin-ik" bit that intrigued me. I'd have to see laboratory based trials of both products though before I could go along with a statement like that.

Also, Klin-ik has been specifically formulated for use on fish, whereas Orabase has been formulated for use on humans and contains triamcinolone acetonide, whichbelongs to a group of medicines known as corticosteroids for reducing inflammation.

We all know that any form of steroid has side effects on humans. Do we know what effect, perhaps long term, they will have on fish?

I've also seen a statement that says Orabase should NOT be used on b<span class="articleText">acterial or fungal infections unless accompanied by anti-infective treatment. Considering many of the lesions found on fish ARE bacterial or fungal infections you need to treat them with Klin-ik or some other formulated for fish antiseptic as well as Orabase. So you may as well use Klin-ik in the first place.</span>

And, if in the long term there were some detrimental effects on fish treated with Orabase, or any other medicine formulated for use on humans, there would be no recourse in law.

I know which I prefer to use, and probably why the EA buy Klin-ik rather than any product not formulated for use on fish.