Magnetic hooks

smithdave

Reaction score
I like to tie my spade ends by hand, I know hooktiers are good, I just like doing it.
This season I've been using a magnet to help hold fiddly small hooks and as a result my tied hooks become slightly magnetic themselves, my catch rate has risen significantly, is this coincidence or is there something in it ?

smithdave

Reaction score
How should one go about demagnitising hooks, Sir ?
I tried a small electric current, but it made them more magnetic and melted my mono.
I tried rubbing them on a balloon, but the inevitable happened and 27 crying children later, I gave up.
Then I thought, why would I want to lower my catch rates !

Reaction score
Freshwater fish navigate using a tiny metal gyroscope positioned at the back of the brain. It is most likely that the hook attracted the gyroscope.

Try tying a small magnet to your line instead of a baited hook. Let us know how you get on.

The bad one

Reaction score
Gyroscope Matt? :D

What you might be drawing on is Magnetic Orrception Some fish have this ability... Ocean traveling fish and Salmonids. Not aware of coarse fish having it, but that's not to say it isn't there.

Whilst research has shown that fish can navigate by polarity how or what it is has never been identified as yet. Theories have been put forward, eg small microscopic particles of magnetite in the brain.

How a magnetic hook would attract fish I'm not sure but you never know?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I used to have to set up tanks containing electric fish -Mormyrus, Gymnotus, and electric catfish - with electrodes leading to an amp and speakers so students could hear the electric discharges translated into sound.

Boy, did those fish notice if you lowered a magnet into the tank! Click- click- bzzzzz!

The sense may well exist in a less developed form in some, many, or all other fish.
I'll be taking my magnetic hook-box next time out!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had extremely bad back pain once; in desperation I applied a very strong magnet to the area and the pain went. My theory was that the magnetic field interfered with the nerve that was sending the pain message to the brain.

I believe a magnet also has it own electrical field as well as a magnetic one. It is hard to see how a tiny hook would have a big enough electrode/magnetic field to reach the brain of a fish which is only a guess. But, I can see how such a field would have an effect on a fishes brain and if it induces a feeding response, goodoo. I wonder if a smaller magnet positioned near the hook as suggested would work as well or even better. fascinating stuff. I am going to buy as many shares as I can in magnet companies from now on just in case.

bruce1980

Reaction score
As iron is the only metal that can be magnatized and is also the only metal that rusts, I would think the iron content in modern fishing hooks would be very low making it difficult for them to hold much of a magnetic charge?

Best way to magnetize iron is to 'stroke' it a number of times, one way, with a strong magnet. This lines up all the iron molecules so the +ve (and -ve) ends are pointing the same direction!

Best way to demagnetize (without any fancy degausing equipment) is to bash it against something! :)

Interesting theory though! Might have to have a look around and see if any manufacturers publish the iron content in their hooks, find the one with the highest and magnetize them! :)

bruce1980

Reaction score
A strong magnet would hold something as small and light as a fish hook containing a tiny amount of iron!

Magnetizing the hook it's self with the tiny amount of iron is another matter!

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I may have been a bit hasty with my presumptions! Most fishing hooks are made from high carbon steel which is an alloy containging mainly Iron!

Should be easily magnetized! :)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The daft thing is, I've been avoiding using hooks from that box in case the fish were repelled or alerted by them. What a useless experimentalist I am.

bruce1980

Reaction score
Just managed to scrounge a peice of magnetic strip from around work! Got my margin pole in the car ready set up and Alexandra Park, Oldham is a stones throw away from where im sat typing this!

Lunch time soon... Sun's out.... Why not! :D

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Starting to wonder if there's actually any fish in there! 5 visits, 5 blanks! I never blank! :mad:

The bad one

Reaction score
Alex Park did have some huge roach in it 10 years ago. And they liked bread, due to the amount thrown in for the ducks by the populous. However, it was leaking and they drained it, removed the fish, spent about 2 years repairing it and refilled it. The question is did they stock it again? I don't know the answer to that.

redgils

Reaction score
be careful you dont fish anywhere with dumped shopping trolleys and bikes etc..