satisfying sponsors

themyth

Reaction score
one for you guys with sponsorships,or that represent tackle companys.
do you feel pressured to catch fish?
you get your sponsorship deal,bit of free tackle/bait few extra quid a year,but what do they expect in return?
how often do you need to be on the cover of a magazine?
im saying this as of late my fishings been really slow,not caught a specimen fish since the autumn.infact'if i fell in a bucket of tits i'd come out sucking my thumb!
i have gotten to a stage now where im pulling strokes,throwing soap in holding swims.fishing 4 and 5 rods with different baits on,even going out my way to ruin other anglers chances of catching fish.
im not really happy doing it...but tomorrow i intend on ringing up my sponsor and telling them to shove it!
your thoughts please guys.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
you get your sponsorship deal,bit of free tackle/bait few extra quid a year,but what do they expect in return?
im saying this as of late my fishings been really slow,not caught a specimen fish since the autumn.infact'if i fell in a bucket of tits i'd come out sucking my thumb!
i have gotten to a stage now where im pulling strokes,throwing soap in holding swims.fishing 4 and 5 rods with different baits on,even going out my way to ruin other anglers chances of catching fish.
im not really happy doing it...but tomorrow i intend on ringing up my sponsor and telling them to shove it!

Personaly i have never felt under pressure to catch fish, but then I am 40 (tomorrow!!) and have a track record of catching big fish of a variety of species and have written on the sport for many years.
How these 16 and younger anglers that are sponsored go on I sometimes wonder and I am sure there must be some pressure there.

The bad one

Reaction score
Never feel under pressure to please my sponsors, as the only sponsor I have is myself.
That way you don't have to sell your soul to anybody. You are free to say write what you want and to recommend or slate any product you wish.

And that independence is worth more to me than a few bags of boillies or a rod/reel now and again.

Frankly if some item of tackle or bait is cr*p I want to say it is without fear or favour.

Terry D

Reaction score
Sponsorship is a 2-way partnership, where both parties contribute to the other's needs. Just because you're going through a lean spell doesn't mean you're not keeping up your end of the 'contract'. Just keep going until you get back on track. Most of all - enjoy your fishing as that's what creally counts at the end of the day.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Are you sponored by Dove?

Seriously
If it just a bit of free bait, then there might be a tempation to fabricate at bit on what you caught on - but the top anglers have some input in to the developement of angling bait and tackle

themyth

Reaction score
well i didn't call either,went fishing instead.And guess what'' blanked again '' struggled to get close to the fish as 2 guys were either side of the willows the barbel and chub are seeking refuge under.archie was fishing in the swim below me just above the willows,by 2 p.m he'd had 3 bites landing a 5lb plus chub and a 9lb 14oz barbel and losing another amongst the branches.
anyway just after 2pm i went up the lane back to my van and there was archies car parked infront of it,im not sure what came over me but i smashed his rear window with a brick then went back and told him his car had been broke into.which obviously put a downer on an otherwise nice day he was having.arch suggested i jump in his swim as he was leaving to get his screen fixed.
i didn't need asking twice:D
my 1st cast saw my link ledgered paste danglin from the far margin willow,i pulled for a break and the 1/2 oz lead smacked me straight in the chest,leaving me winded and with a large bruise! karma perhaps...
i instantly packed up and headed home,my tackles staying in the garage for a while i think,i just wanted to apologise to archie'although im not sure if he uses this forum.'' sorry pal''
let this be a message to you up and coming anglers...concentrate at school/go to colledge,get a trade. because this fishing games hard!

p.s i will be back out there once my pop-up rapalas turn up.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A little harsh I feel

letting one tire down and telling him he's got a flat or ring his sponsor and telling him he's signed a deal with TC to promote another bait company would have been more in line

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Themyth, always smash the FRONT windscreen, that way they're frozen, miserable, and hopefully if it's raining, thoroughly wet through. Also, I notice you did'nt mention 'rifling' through the car to see what you could find, poor show all round.

Take a note, must do better.