Another update from India

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Not too much to report fishing wise. I went out with some locals on their boat this morning, cast a few lures around, nothing doing.

Had a lucky moment yesterday though. I'm in a seaside place in Tamil Nadu called Mamallapuram (try saying that after a skinfull)

I was climbing over some rocks to get a better snap of this temple when there was a commotion in the sea, about 20 yards out. Fish were scattering everywhere, thenI saw a black fin. A couple of seconds later a Dolphin completely cleared the water, with small fish all around it.It was so close that I felt the spray.

I feel so priviliged to have seen this!

OK on Friday I've a 3 day sailing to the Andaman Islands, which are off the coast of Myanmar (Burma).

The Islands are surrounded by coral reefs, a bit like the Seychelles I guess. Only intrepid types go though, so it hasn't been destroyed by tourism, or suffered from the inflated prices of other similar island groups.

There is good surfing, snorkelling and fishing. Deep sea is popular but I'll be concentrating on the flats, and thedeeper beaches at night. A bonefishwould be nice!

Tight lines to all.

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Glad to hear you're still in one piece.

Mamallapuram is a lovely little place, if you get the chance treat yourself to some paneer curry at the Golden Palatte, it's the best in India (esp Paneer Tikka).

Very jealous of your Andaman trip, it's on my list of places to visit next time. I have heard though from a few mates that lots of people get ill on the boat so take plenty of water and snacks.

Good luck, keep in touch.

Kind regards,

****y

Morespiders

Reaction score
Good job you didn't go just for the fishing Ric, ahh well keep trying, take care .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I can see it now when you get back. When I was in India........................................................ Nice of you to keep us updated mate. Good luck.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Well done Ric, you seem to be enjoying your time there. What an experience, something i would love to do!

As everyone has said keep us posted on how your getting along.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cheers for the good wishes.

I've heard reports about the boat too ****y. Apparently the food is rubbish, the bunks are smelly and hot. And they don't allow hammocks on deck, so my new purchase will have to wait until Havelock Island for an airing.

I'll be stuffed to the gunnels withbottled water, fruit and nuts. I've had a few instances ofDelhi belly already, I'm not really looking forward to the next one!

Out with the locals again this morning, using Prawn as bait. Had a dozen or so fish, nothing big, but someBream-like fish up to a pound gave a decent scrap on my light gear.