Springy main line

Robert Smith 5

Reaction score
Hello all, wonder if anyone can help, have only been fishing for a year, and started Carp fishing in May. Today I caught my pb. just over 12 pounds, but what a struggle to land it.On the take the line wrapped itself around the bottom of the spool on the reel, wasnt able to free it so obviously was unable to reel in . had to walk back some distance then go to the waters edge and pull the fish in grabbing hold of line, I regularly get into tangles with the line because of the springness.Can anyone recommend a high class mono main line for all round use that might help me. Thanks all for yoor help in advance.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
Sounds like your doing something wrong matey.

Dont overfill the spool, and when loading it into the reel, make sure it lays on the reel spool with the coils the same as it came off the bought spool. Does that make sense /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

If you have excessive twist in your line, buy a 'spin-doctor' lead to remove it. Better still, ditch the line you have, it sounds cack/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Daiwa sensor is a good allround mono. Cheap as chips and reliable.

Reaction score
have a look in the reviews bit robert you could ask loads of people about line and you would get all diffrent answers but daiwa senor is one of the best sellers

C

Cakey

if its on the take like you say its either the bait runner set to loose i.e. screaming run that suddenly stops and the spool still keeps turning forming a birds nest.

or if your not using bait runners turn the ainti reverse off and loosen the clutch to let them have line but once again not to loose

C

Cakey

I also carry spare spools,my normal spools are full up for casting distance and spare spools slightly under for fishing the margins

C

Cakey

also bigger spooled reels make a lot less "springs "than small spooled reels

C

Cakey

by the way I get my line from The Bass Pro Shops in the States and all though I think its the best line around it still forms slight "springs"

F

Frothey

like what cakey says, and too much line on the reel as well?

Reaction score
Go to your tackle shop and ask them to put it on your reel and watch them do it

Any good shop will not charge you for this and will be more than happy to show you how to do it properly

Daiwa sensor seems to be a good line for the money my friend uses it and has never had a problem with it to date

steveo

Reaction score
Diawa sensor,sorry m8 but i have found it to be cheap and cheerfull.I alway's use big game,it's bullet proof,last's age's and cast's ok.Sensor i used once when i had to change my line andI was skint soI went for Sensor 15lb.It was ok for about 2 week's worth of fishing,then my rod's were in their sleeve's for a few week's then whenIwent to cast outI cracked off on 2 consecutive cast's!!I checked the line andI could snap easily with my hand's,it was fu***d.Never use again C**p line.

F

Frothey

big games ok, but its fantastic strength comes from the fact its underated - look how thick it is. stretchy too......

C

Cakey

orrible stuff...................................in my opinion of course

steveo

Reaction score
Yep old,thick and a bit stretchy!Sound's a bit like me.I love it and i'll continue to use it as Cakey say's whatever float's ur boat,also it aint as thick anymore as they have changed it rateing sysytem but it still does what it say's on the tin.

What a belter of an England game,I'm one of the first to slag em when they have a bad game,tonite thet were a pleasure to watch.