Lures can be confusing

andy247

Reaction score
Hi everyone nice to be onboard.. I started off as a kid like most of us do as an all round course angler. But over the last 10 years I have done carping in spring summer and autumn and pike fishing during the winter.

My pike fishing has mainly been ledgering and drifting live/dead baits. A couple months ago my mate got me into lure fishing and I have found it as exciting as surface fishing for carp during the summer. I’m ok with spinners they seem pretty straight forward but the many different lures with the specified diving depths have got me well confused.

I have recently purchased a Savage 4play soft body lure that fits inside a skull cap, I had instant results and I think they are good but I am not happy because I haven’t mastered properly because I am always picking up stacks of weed and a lot of my casts are wasted.

Do any of you guys out there know anything about these lures?,

Many thanks

Andy247

dangermouse

Reaction score
Hi Andy welcome to FM. Can`t help with your lures question but I`m sure someone will be able to. :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Andy,

Lures fall into catagories ie- deep diver's, shallow diver's and a host of different types in the Crankbait range. Crankbaits are the lures that incorporate a diving vane at the head of the lure.

Plastic swim baits come with or without vanes, the ones that ''don't'' have the vane come in slow sink or fast sink. I suspect the one you are using is fast sink if the skull cap you refer to is a jig head, that will be the reason you are picking up loads of weed. But if as you say you got instant results, you must be doing something right.

Might I suggest you invest in an optional lure, something like a ''Storm Suspending Shad'',or one of the similar plastic's out there. The only other option with your current lure seems to be wind like the clappers on the retrieve.

andy247

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys and Dereck I will look into the Storm Suspending Shad and as you mentioned "winding like the clappers".. It did actually work for me and I landed a 6lb pike so what you said was spot on bud, It seemed a bit odd winding so quick but the pike was up for the speeding prey and took it ..lol :)

andy247

Reaction score
Well Dereck I have taken your advice and hopefully the new lure you sugested will be in the water saturday if the postie can deliver before weekend :)

Thanks again to all and I am glad I have found a great website

Andy

Attachments

• STORM WILDEYE SUSPENDING SWIM SHAD 4 22g NEW SILVER GHOST.jpg
    STORM WILDEYE SUSPENDING SWIM SHAD 4 22g NEW SILVER GHOST.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 52