Daft questions.....

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Hello all.....i am just starting to purchase various fly fishing items of tackle,with the intention of having a go for a few trout and catching the odd coarse fish as well.

Now being a total novice etc.... can someone tell me how do i attatch the fly line to the backing and how do i attatch the fly leader to the main fly line (no laughing please!!!)

many thanks.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Forgot to mention,that some funny loop type thingy`s that look as if they`ve been spliced???and some clear,thin silicon tubing came in the box with the fly line....am i supposed to use these???

For the record,the line is ron thompson brand.

Will have to investigate that knot paraman....i`ve never used leadcore in my life!!!

Trisantona

Reaction score
Yeah use the braided loops,they go through rings better than a nail knot not sure on fastening them onbut i bet Ron Clay will put you right or just ask a fly angler to show you.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Just found a site with various knotts for fly lines etc....the constriction knott for attatching the backing to main line looks easy enough.

I have also just fathomed out that those spliced things are leeder loops.From what i can make out,you glue oneover the end of the fly and i presume the silicone slides over the join for protection???

Trisantona

Reaction score
From memory ,you carefully thread end of fly line inside braid,tie backing to loop using uni knot then slide silicon sleeve over top,glue is only for added security (i think),you need to slide silicon on leader or backing first of course.you can use at both ends of fly line, try it dry and if no good send for the cavalry (ron).!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Depends if you're using a shooting head Nick?

The constriction knot sounds familiar......................where's Ron?

Have you noticed that the Daddy long legs are here?

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I hope this helps. It certainly helped me.

Animated knots

I used it to set my new fly fishing outfit up before a day's fishing with Martin James, and he gave me an eight out of ten for my efforts.

Had to practice a bit, but the site makes it very simple. I like simple....

Trisantona

Reaction score
That's a brilliant site Janet (i have given it out three or four times on various sites) but i think the new braided sleeve things are much better than any knot,nothing to catch in the rod rings,i started trouting in the early sixties and used the nail knot but it often jammed in the rings,after a lay off of about 40 years i started trouting again last year and bought a reel off ebay(£12 inc. spare spool and two shooting heads)and that had those braided loops both ends and cast like a dream,so i think it well worth finding out how to fit them properly. think they should give brief instruction how to fit em.!!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Braided loops are the best Nick. You slide on the sleeve up the hollow braid and then you "inch worm" the fly line down the centre of the braid and when you have about 2 1/2 inches of line into the braid you pull the sleeve back down over the line to locate it.

Don't forget to put a dab of superglue on the braid where it meets the line or you could have a big fish dissappear with your leader.

For attatching your fly line to your backing I use a needle knot which I whip with fly tying silk and then cover with a thin coat of epoxy to make it smooth. Some backing is of the hollow braid type which you can "inch worm" up the line and locate with a sleeve like the braided loop on the front of your fly line. Again apply some super glue.

davie

Reaction score
nick, seing as you live relatively close to me, drop me an e-mail and i`ll give you a shakespeare 9ft fly rod that is gathering dust at my place, i can also show you some knots and offer any [although limited] knowledge i have,,we could maybe even take a day at eyebrook if you fancy it.

W

Wayne Peter

Ron, my new lines have built in loops (airflow ridge) do i just tie my leedas straight to these loops like I would the braided types.?