Saw a Lovely Sight Last Night

Blunderer

Reaction score
Last night on the River Swale, as dusk fell, I witnessed something special.

Right at my feet, two huge perch harried a dace of a couple of ounces. They chased it into the shallow water and in the end, ina panic, it flipped itself out of the water so it landed on the sandy bank right at the edge of the water, around 2 feet from me. As I watched, these two perch weighed up the situation, then one just lunged forward so it was 3/4 out of the water, grabbed this dace, then flipped itself back into the deeper water where it swallowed it whole.

It was exactly like the famous Attenburough scene where the killer whales beach the seals, then come straight out of the water to grab them.

I didn't know perch could be so aggressive.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have obvioulsy been going wriong all these years by fishing with my bait in the water.

Nice story!

MikeW

Reaction score
I have watched 2-4lb brown trout on a large lake running themselves aground to snatch frogs off the bank before flipping back in, very similar to the killer whales hunting technique.

Just last week I was watching 3 or 4 very big chub on my local lake "working" a shoal of small rudd fry together before one of them would strike. The shoal of fry isquite spread out to start with and then you see the shoal become much tighter and higher in the water to the point where the shoal starts to rotate and they are literaly trying to get out of the water, the best way to describe it is they give the appearance of boiling water, this last for just a few seconds and then one of the chub strikes the agitated shoal and they disperse and then the whole thing happens again - an amazing sight, the day in question I actually watched them for over an hour, I even went back to the car for binoculars to watch more closely.

roachpoacher

Reaction score
HEY THANKS LADS, ITS GOOD TO HEAR OF YOUR EXPLOITS,

NATURE THE GREATEST ATTRACTION ON EARTH, WHEN YOU WITNESS

SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE, THE MEMORY WILL LAST FOR EVER.

I HOPE TO READ MORE OF PEOPLES SIGHTINGS, THINGS THAT LIVE IN WATER

AND HOW THEY SURVIVE EVERYDAY, NATURE THE GREATEST SURVIVOR.