FISHING ETIQUETTE

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

After reading Blunderers thread about inviting somebody to fish with him free of charge on what sounds a nice quiet water, it prompted me further to ask this question-:

How far do you take fishing etiquette?

Just imagine that you went to a water where there were no rules or bailiffs. There are already a few anglers scattered about, so after asking the usual questions like, owt doing mate, and finding out where the fish are situated, do you go and squeeze in between a couple of anglers, and hope they do not object, because that’s where the fish are?

You know the fish are right over the other side, where it is out of bounds to angling but you can reach it with a good cast. There are no other anglers in the immediate vicinity. Do you go for it?

The banks are of rolled stone. Do you consider if you are disturbing anybody by banging away knocking rod rests in?

Somewhere, somehow, there must be a set of unwritten rules. So who makes them? Or do you just like to do your own thing? Because you know that anything that you do is okay. Are rules needed? Wouldn't it be great to have a water full of like minded anglers?

How long would it be before the squabbling started? Could it really work?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Interesting Baz.

But no, no way could it happen.....................too many ignorant selfish twat$ about!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I quite agree mate.

The only people that I know personally who have ever said we don't need bailiffs, are amongst the bigest rule breakers, trouble makers, and chancers of the lot.

E

EC

I don't know so much Steve!

The pond I grew up on, and first learned to cast a line was not much bigger than a tennis court, andis situated between 2 large council estates, and slap bang between 2 tees on a golf course.

We sat shoulder to shoulder, adults and kids, often 2 to a swim. The 'swims' were not much more than 3 or 4 metres apart. There were no rules, and no controlling club for the majority of the time. In all my years of fishing there throughout school holidays, day after day, night after nightI can never recall an argument or disagreement about angling etiquette. We turned up, squeezed in where we could, and fished. It was the same for everyone and everyone more or less got along.

The thing is, looking back, no one assumed they were any better than anyone else,there was nowhere else to go, and as such it was accepted that all had an equal right to what was, and still is, a free water.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The waters that I grew up on were much the same Eddie. But we are now in different times mate.

T

The Monk

yeah yeah yeah and you all stick to 30mph (in a 30 zone)

I always try to do 30, but I think I need a new car

Reaction score
I am a memeber of a small syndicate water, 12 memebers in total, all vetted by the guy who set the lease up.

He has seen fit to introduce one rule and that is no baitboats.

There are no other rules and works absolutely fine. All entrants are simply ASKED to respect the natural surroundings, the welfare of the fish and the right of other members to fish in peace. I should stress that these are not written rules.

In three years we have had one occasion where a member felt strongly about something that another member had done, and he left to fish elsewhere.

Reaction score
"Banging in rod rests in a bank of rolled stone " , it`s funny you should mention that Baz , i went late on sunday for a 48 hour session , both swims to my left were empty , on monday morning two chaps turned up , a bloke of about 60 and his son -in-law ,all the top gear , looked the part and talked like they knew what they were doing , in fact they were nice blokes .

They then got thier rods set up and thier baits out and then decide to put thier bivvies up ,the bivvie pegs were then hammered into the ground , i could not belive it ,this went on for 1/2 hour .

To make matters worse it turned out that the elder of the two was a club bailiff ! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Just for you Baz .

W

Wolfman Woody

"Somewhere, somehow, there must be a set of unwritten rules."

If they are "unwritten" then they don't exist. All you can do is be a neighbourly as possible. Squeeze in leaving at least 2-3 yards either side. Take along a 7lb lump hammer and get the bank stick in as quickly as possible. Cast as far as you like so long as it crosses no-one else's line and if a fish tangles you with the other twenty guys fishing it, just say sorry.

What's wrong with that? In fact, that's how it used to be in winter on Marlow Lock Cut when the river was up and everyone got along fine. A real communal spirit existed, bon amis, which has largely disappeared today through the selfishness of wanting everything for yourself and denying others their right to enjoy.

Edit: <u>AND we all caught fish!</u>

Y

yoggy

I suppose I`m luckyin that a good percentage of my fishing is done in total solitude apart from my fishing mates at the time of fishing. Most of the waters I fish are virtually void of other anglers!!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Paraman.

Your situation would be easy to control, or should be. But even so there was one individual that saw things differently wasn't there?

6' appart Woody, ye must be jesting squire. I would class 12 ' appart as sitting shoulder to shoulder. And why use a hammer or mallet at all? My right arm is kernackered (luckilly for one certain gob$hite, that's my punching arm) but I always manage to poke a hole in the hard ground with a long screwdriver first.

I think we are all in agreement that social etiquette in angling is largely a thing of the past.

One angler might put a kilo of bait in his swim.Then as sure as eggs is bananas, the bloke next to him will put two or three kilo of bait in.

Anglers can not be trusted to behave them selves.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

One of the most annoying things on a fishing expodition for me is when you make the effort to get on the banks at 4 in the morning.

From the other side of the lake there are a couple of anglers talking in loud voices. Usually giving each other instructions on how to get to another water. That is the one thing that make my eyes glaze over. Totally pig ignorant if you ask me.

C

Cakey

sound carries at 4 am .......................they can hear you heavy breathing

Mithrandir

Reaction score
How about you guys getting together and drawing up an article on ettiquette.

Then some of us less well informed anglers can see what is expected.

I, for one, have a pet hate of those that pitch a bivvy, large enough to house 50 refugees in it, right across the path around a lake. The struggle I have getting past with a rod bag and tackle does wind me up.